When a guy asks a girl to marry him when they've only known each other for a month, is he just wanting sex?

One of my good friends met this guy at a new years eve party and obviously they liked each other. A week after they first met, they started going out, now a month a later--- THEY'RE ENGAGED! After the announcement of their engagement, they said their wedding is going to be May 26th, now its the 24th of March! This is insane! I'm happy for my friend but she barely knows this guy, is this normal?

Has anyone had a similar experience as this? I'm kinda freaking out Because I feel that I'm losing my friend and she always been really cautious when seeing someone new Because she's had a bad history when it came to choosing stupid rude dumb guys for boyfriends who were verbally, physically and emotionally abusive towards her and now when she meets a guy who seems sweet and nice, she thinks he's the one?!?! I'm scared she's going to get hurt really bad and and this obviously won't be like a break up a person can get over. HELP!

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't say he's just wanting sex. What I WILL say though, is that what they're doing is pretty stupid.

First of all, if they already had sex, and he STILL wants to marry her, then you can be assured 100% that he doesn't just want sex. Because if all he wanted was sex, he wouldn't bother with the whole marriage thing. It's not something guys do.

What could be happening here though is that, because they just met, they're having that "crazy passion" that most of us have when we meet someone. The thing is, this sort of thing ALWAYS FADES after a while. And it's only when it fades, that we are able to truly decide if we really want to spend the rest of our lives with that person.

In other words, they don't know each other properly yet. Not even a year is enough to REALLY know what someone is like, unless you live with each other (which I doubt is the case with your friend).

• Well they're church goer people& that's why I asked "when a guy asks a girl to marry him when they've only known each other for a month,is he just wanting sex?"so I'm pretty sure they haven't had sex and that's why I asked the question.But I totally agree that what they're doing is stupid. I feel really bad feeling this way when I should be feeling happy & excited for her & I am but not at the same time.

What Guys Said 3

• Marriage isn't so much the big commitment it used to be. If you decide you were wrong, you can always get a divorce.

At least they're not having a kid together, that's a lifetime commitment with no easy out.

• Doubtful. If that were the case, it would make her one expensive hooker.

• all you can do is stand behind her and hope she's right about him,but try to get her to get to know him better allot of people are getting married like this its what is making the divorce rate so high they don't know each other

• Thank you for your comment and I will stand by her and I'll try to get to know him better, I agree with your comment about the divorce rate so high because people getting married when they hardly know each other, its just ridiculous.

What Girls Said 4

• Eh. I doubt he's marrying her for sex. If he wanted to sleep with her,he would.

I actually know someone who got engaged with a guy whom she had known for less than a month. Of course her situation is a bit different; They've known each other for over 20yrs(they used to attend the same church)and plus they both have kids. Still think it's stupid.

Anyways,good luck to your friend cause she's going to need it.

• not sex could be he is going in something that if he is married he will be making more money ect she better be careful. or he he could have some evil intentions

• Well they're church goer people& that's why I asked "when a guy asks a girl to marry him when they've only known each other for a month,is he just wanting sex?"so I'm pretty sure they haven't had sex and that's why I asked the question.

• all church people aren't angels. He may have bad intentions

• Yeah true, I'm just hoping for the best at this point. I really don't want to see my friend get hurt.

• you can't get involved with things like this. I've been in situations where my friends have acted stupid, and where I have acted stupid, and you can't stop each other. you can try to talk to her rationally. I doubt a guy would marry a girl just for sex, I think they are just infatuated with each other because you can't tell so soon if it will work out. hopefully it will

• I hope it will work out too but I am definitely going to try to talk to her about this, hopefully she won't go super defensive on me or anything but most likely she will.

• I have no idea what to say other than this is crazy.