Do you think that most people go into a marriage with an idealistic view of it?

A marriage requires a lot of work, compromise, sacrifice, forgiving and growing up together. I see that most people go into it thinking that things will all "naturally" work out.

Who is going to magically do the household chores, take care of the finances, plan for things, etc. Dating is nothing like marriage and people need to realize this.

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah most. and look what happens. not saying marriage is bad, just that it is bad for most people when they go into it. Also, dating, both are on their best behavior, or should be. From this site it seems too many girls are hanging on to dirt bags but that is another subject.

What Guys Said 2

• i think most people go into marriage for the wrong reasons

• Well, I always ask... Would you get on a Space shuttle that you were told has a 70% chance of blowing up? That's what marriage is... It's a failed institution where 70 percent fail. So no it is likely to fail and ruin your life and devastate you. Unfortunately those are the statistics.

What Girls Said 2

• It's sad but true for a lot of people. Luckily, not all. But I can tell that a lot of people go into it and aren't prepared for the reality. I'm soon to be married, and as a teenager I've done a lot of research (as silly as that may sound) on what makes marriages work and what makes them fall apart, and a lot of them have to do with not being prepared to become ONE PERSON in a sense, and work together.

• hmm I don't think so or perhaps just my group of friends are quite conscious of these. Most of them attend pre-marriage counselling prior to getting married so presumably those issues are at least mentioned there.