How long should you be in a relationship before proposing?

We have been dating almost a year is that not long enough? How long is long enough?

Most Helpful Guy

• There are no rules about it. It's just whenever it feels right. My fiancee and I got engaged after dating for 9 months, but we're both still in school, she's finishing up her bachelor's (she got set back when she transferred) and I'm working on a Master's, so we put off the actual wedding until October 2011 when we'll both be out of school.

My advice is if it feels right go with it, but allow yourself plenty of time before actually getting married. it's better to find out if something's going to go wrong beforehand than afterwards.

What Guys Said 3

• I would say when he has moved out of his parents house, has a decent job, and can support a family, would be a good time to consider marriage.

• Exactly! Your profile says that you are under 18. Don't you think you need a few more years before you consider Engagement and marriage. Go to college and get a good job. If he sticks with you through all that then be thankful that your so lucky and marry him then.

• Whats the rush with getting married? does that prove that he loves you more? really?

Take all the time you need. I mean its been a year, BUT you will be with him for what? 50! can you grasp the idea?

• There's no set amount of time you need to be together. I've seen some people engaged after 3 months and other people not engaged after 6 years. It really depends on the relationship you have with eachother. When it feels right, just do it.

What Girls Said 3

• Both joejoe123123 and tex151 have valid points.

On the one hand, if you're a romantic, then there are no rules and if you want to marry him/her you propose because you are in love and everything else can fall into place around you. On the other hand, if you are a realist, get your shit in gear and be financially responsible and ready to start supporting one another for the rest of your lives. It really depends on the type of person you are and what truly feels right for you.

I think, maybe, it is one of those things in Life that shouldn't be too over-thought. Now, that isn't the same as not taking it seriously. I just mean that, if you over-think it you can go back and forth between many conclusions and drive yourself crazy. Some things just have to come from the heart, or rather your instinct. I can tell you that a part of me would certainly want to wait until I felt financially secure and fully mature...but there is another side of me that probably would accept a proposal-even though nothing else is technically in it's proper place-because I felt so absolutely in love! It goes both ways.

• the thing is, there is no time limit. I suppose I wouldn't want a guy who rushes into things so fast but at the same time, I wouldn't want to be with someone for 6 years and not have any sort of engagement or anything. time is just one factor.

• There is no limit.

If you think that the love you feel for each other is real and you think asking feels right then go ahead and ask.