My boyfriend and I have been together quite awhile now, and are very in love. He has lived about an hour away the whole time we've been together, but he is moving to my hometown in a couple of weeks to be closer to me. Initially, we had planned to live together once he moved here. But, both sets of our parents are very traditional, and they were against it. They want us to at least be engaged first. Now, we have had the marriage conversation before, and its what we both want... but I have no clue when that's going to be. Sometimes we talk, and it sounds like two years, and sometimes it sounds like 7 months. I am ready to get to that part of our life together. Would it be wrong of me to ask him when he might want to get engaged? I'm not looking for a specific date... just a timeline. I don't want to wait around, being antsy, thinking its going to be this fall if he has no intention of doing it for a couple more years. Is that ok?
Most Helpful Girl
Well it sounds as if he has already agreed to it happening. Perhaps he is only waiting for the right time to ask you formally. Maybe you should wait until he is settled down in your hometown and has everything ready for you to move in with him. If he still does not say anything by that time then I don't see what wrong with telling him how you feel.
I was in a similar situation. My parents are very traditional too and I wanted to move in with my boyfriend. They would not let me but I did it anyway and it was one of the greatest learning experiences of my life. I ended up moving back in with them. But now I strongly believe that people should first experience what it is like to live together before getting married. It can be a great surprise.0