Is marriage way too over-rated?

I think so. Why do we have to participate in this old-fashioned custom. We are more advanced as a society now. We don't need to get dressed formally and buy expensive jewelry as a form of payment to the wife. Most marriages end in divorce anyways. Just live normally as a couple and if you grow old together, great, if not then just leave.

Updates:
You don't have to have a wedding and get "married" to have kids and make it legal. There's common law marriages.

0|0
5|4

Most Helpful Guy

• we are not an advanced society, technically we are a type zero civilization and we still have the potential to destroy ourselves. The family should be pushed till we are at least a type one civilization and we are a hundred years away from that at least, but I agree we do live in modern times and the laws that go with marriage extremely against men and the customs that go with it like say giving a women multi thousands of dollars to fasten to her finger is pretty retarded

0|1
    1|0

What Girls Said 5

• Marrying someone is not for society its for you, the universe, and whoever else. When you marry someone you are making them your family. It goes from "my partner" to "my husband", which is family and something many value. If you don't like it, don't get married.

0|0
    1|2
  • I don't think marriage is over rated, but I don't think it is the end of the world if someone doesn't get married. You can live with someone without having to be make it legal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't be selfish! How can the society continues without giving birth of new children?! Even if these children have born.. don't they need a stable environment called the family?! In which their father and mother are together under a contract that guarantees their rights?!

1|1
    1|0
    • all true, now contact your Governor to ask him to repeal some womens reproduction rights and marital rights or give men more just to make it an even deal

• Don't confuse marriage with weddings. More and more people today are choosing to have their relationships as you described but that doesn't mean they aren't symbolically married. The only reason why people get married in the first place is because marriage is a religious institution. For people who follow those beliefs, such as myself and many others, the purpose of marriage is to do what our faith requires us to do in order to please God. He advises us to follow His laws first and then the laws of the land and to give public demostration of our commitment to each other. The laws of the land require us to get legally married if we want to be recognized as a union. The wedding is the public demonstration which all it takes is a small ceremony with your family and close friends, nothing has to be fancy.

2|1
    1|1
    • theres common law marriage. Religions are nothing more than an opiate of the masses

• Show All
    • That's because you're a troll.

• No, you're a troll, troll

• Marriage guarantees the rights of both, the husband and especially the wife!

0|1
    1|4
    • marriage doesn't guarantee the rights of men

• Show All
    • interesting, which country or religion are those?

• - Islam.

- U.A.E.

What Guys Said 3

• I think marriage is way too under-rated these days. Less and less people get married these days then before simply because they couldn't be bothered and everyone is also generally less religious and don't see a need for it. And the reason the divorce rate is higher these days is because far less people are willing to put the effort into the relationship when the smallest problems arise. A good marriage means you would be able to sort through any problems!

Marriage provides happiness for both partners, a stable environment for any kids that would be had, and in a healthy marriage, it makes things a lot easier legally and financially.

And you say 'why do we have to participate in this old-fashioned custom'. You don't have to, no one is forcing you to do it.

I'm sorry that you are put off marriage, I see it as something amazing and fulfilling and not something that I HAVE to do, but I want to do.

2|0
    1|2
    • marriage fails because the way we live before marriage causes resentment in marriage

• Show All
    • of course but all marriages don't fail and you will find more often then not the marriages that last are the ones where the men and women were at their best behavior before marriage

• Maybe slight exaggeration, but you do have a point there.

• You seem to be asking 'are weddings overrated'.

Somewhat - people treat them like some sort of weird dress up event. Really, weddings shouldn't look so different from normal life - they should be as nice an outfit and as fancy a party as you'd have, but not some different sphere from anything else in your life.

People spend too much, its just odd.

Legal marriage is a pretty bad deal for whoever earns more, in most western countries. People get married for love, but from a legal standpoint, they'd balk if they looked at the deal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Marriage today is a raw deal for men. Period.

The truth is that more than 67% of marriages will end in divorce. 92% of the time it will be initiated by the woman for no other reason than she is “unfulfilled” – oh, and because she gets the kids, the house, at least ½ the assets and most of his future after tax income for the next 18 years. The man will get raked over in family court. He will lose the house. He will see his kids 2 out of 14 days (if the ex doesn't level unsubstantiated "abuse" claims.) He will be forced to hand over 40-50% of his take-home pay. If he loses his job due to illness or downsizing, the State will toss him in jail. While jailed the arrearage will grow and the state will charge interest. The State will revoke his driver's and professional licenses, make him virtually unemployable.

If you were to take up sky-diving, and the instructor informed you that 67% of the parachutes were defective, would you take the plunge?

0|0
    0|0