Knowing you are ready for marriage?

My friends who are married say it will always be a leap of faith but when you are ready you just...know instinctually that you are ready to make that commitment.

They also say that the right person will never be exactly the type you imagined yourself with but you"just know"it is the right one. Unless you are one of those people who jumped in and probably shouldn't have.

What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• i think if you are young, you idealism can collide with another persons and result in such a marriage... but once you get older, I feel like reality sets in and you don't marry because you got swept away but because it's a strategic choice... aka this person can give me what I want ...

i'm 24 and I can't imagine being swept up in idealistic fancy. if I get married, it will be to an emotionally stable intelligent girl with good family history, healthy genetics & a body that'll age well... on top of having the value set where she will make a good mother / wife.

What Guys Said 2

• Bet I got you, this is true for some. I am one these select few... I am married to the type of women I said I never would date, needy drama queen blah blah. however since we met I new.didnt take long and didn't nderstand it but I did. and we are very happy and expecting. some it works this way others not so much.. honestly rationally speaking it takes knowing what you want and this only happens with time. never rush anything and never act on impulse

• Yes I agree...(:

What Girls Said 3

• my boyfriend is definitely so different from anyone I've ever dated and we're at that level of discussing marriage. I know I'm not ready, not because of anything to do with him, but because neither of us can support ourselves financially yet (we're 21) and while he's more ready to take that leap then I am, I told him that he's the one and he will be 3-5 years from now or whenever I'm ready - and he respects me for that.

being in a stable part of your life is important for marriage I think, ex. done school, have a career, not being attached to someone else emotionally...

as for knowing who the right person is, I know I found him because we can have fun just being in each others company, I know he would always fight for me and never just walk out, stand up for m, respect me, & I feel secure in my relationship that we're loyal to each other, and every day I love him more!

• i think that thinking wrks for the people who have it.

some people marry when they are swept away, it is exactly who they thought they would marry, & its fine.

some people wait. think it out methodically& are miserable.

some people don't get married, just fall in love, move in, & stay together longer thn their married neighbors.

lotta divorces, as well-- regardless of when the marriage took place.

i don't think you can generalize, with such a personal experience.

• I think that they are pretty correct in that. I am not in a relationship but I have that same thing there are a lot of my friends that are married or are getting married and you just sort of know that its right. Also I have noticed that sometime you just can't see them being with someone else. If that makes sense. haha