"if we don't find anyone better, let's get married"

What does it mean when my best guy friend says "if we don't find anyone better by the time we're 30, let's get married"? My friend knows I like him but says he doesn't like me back but still says things like this. Thanks in advance for any advice.

love how the guys answers are so different from the girls' haha. to be honest, I was thinking more along with the guys but we'll see what happens I guess. thanks everyone :)

Most Helpful Girl

• He wants to keep his options open and encouraging you to do so. He also mean that if things are meant to be, you guys will be together. If not, so be it and there's nothing bad about it. I doubt he wants to commit with you now because getting together too young often ends up with break-up. Instead of risking that and your friendship, he's giving both of you the chance to grow and develop individually and see how things go when you both reach late 20s or early 30s. Cherish this friendship. He knows how to have both his and your interest in check without crossing the romantic boundaries and he's pragmatic.

• I didn't mean that he will definitely want to be with you :) I just meant that he kept his options open. In a way, he's being smart without exposing too much about himself. So don't take this too seriously :)

What Guys Said 2

• He's willing to settle with you if he doesn't find anyone better. This means you are the insurance for him if becomes lonely.

• He doesn't find you attractive and is using you as a last resort

What Girls Said 4

• My guy friend once said this to me. About a week later, he told me he loved me. And a few months later, we got in a fight and he said he wanted to marry me, now.

So I think the guys' responses are probably correct, but I just thought I'd share that story!

• I wouldn't read too much into it. A friend of mine and I also said the same thing to each other it was just a way of comforting each other. At the time we were both single for a long time and wondering what the hell is wrong with me. It was just a way of saying 'you're a good person and anyone would be lucky to have you and if the rest of the world is too stupid to figure that out by the time you're 30 I'll marry you". It wasn't in any way a serious proposition just a gesture

• I agree with the guys. Particularly NerdInDenial.

• My mom always told me that I should marry my best friend. Your friend probably figures that he loves you as a friend and sees that a better than not liking you as a girlfriend or something along these lines. This may not be the answer that you were looking for, but hopefully I got the gears turning :)