Too soon to be engaged???

How soon is too soon to be engaged in your opinion? How long should a couple be in a relationship before they can be sure they know each other well enough to swear off all others and spend their life together? I say 2.5 years. Enough time to get over that initial "I love you you're perfect" phase and get to see if you can handle their flaws.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd agree with that, it seems that 2.5 years is plenty of time to get an idea of who the other person is. By then the honeymoon is long over and you can see their true self.

What Guys Said 2

• There is no magic number. When you are in love and you have decided that is the person you want to be with for the rest of your life, and you both feel that way, and you are both mature enough to understand exactly what that decision means then there is no real reason for a lengthy feeling out process.

I was engaged to my wife probably 5 months after I met her and married to her 4 months after that. We have been happily married for 7 years, have 2 kids and 1 on the way, and I have never once regretted the decision we made. We were both ready and we matched up so well though. Not everybody is the same. A few may take less time (although I would caution against taking much less time), and many take much longer. It all depends on your mutual preparedness and maturity to be married.

• How soon is too soon? What my 23-year old brother did - he became engaged to his then-girlfriend of only 8 months this past December. I figured they would eventually end up together, with the key word being "eventually". But he's way more impulsive than I am, and while I wish him the best, I still think he rushed the whole thing.

Personally, I think 1.5 to 2 years is a good amount of time. You get to know the other person for a while, and see how they react in a variety of situations.

What Girls Said 4

• Depends, are you already living with the person or not? I have known my fiance for four years but have been living with him for 10 months. We got engaged in mid-January this year and will be married January of next year. I don't really think about the time I just go with it. I think it really depends on the couple, their living situation, how long they have known each other and other such elements.

• I don't know.. lolol I can't put a certain timing on it because I've never been engaged.. and who am I to judge.. if you can or can't know before 2.5 years.. I mean I've been with someone 4 years and now we aren't together..?

• It varies from relationship to relationship. It depends on the situation and where they are in their lives. There is no magic number, you just do it when it feels right.

• i don't think there's a magic number.

it depends on what you want out of the situation.

maybe people don't marry for love anyway.