Why do people get engaged if they don't plan to get married?

My aunt has been engaged for almost five years now but has yet to set a wedding date. A former coworker of mine has been engaged for three or four years. Why do some people get engaged if they don't plan to move forward with it?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm one of those:-). For some people that's enough of a sign of commitment for others like me, marriage is meaningless, its just a ring and piece of paper. I got engaged because my fiance asked me and I love him so I said yes. It was only when we sat down and talked about the actual wedding and planning it, we realized it didn't matter to either of us and that we really didn't see the point. He assumed that I wanted to get married and also believed he did and so he proposed, he proposed so I assumed he wanted to get married and thought it was what I wanted and said yes. We have no plans whatsoever to get married and have been engaged for 4 years and the more we talk about it the more irrelevant it is to us. If its not broken then why fix it

What Girls Said 4

• i don't think waiting means your not doing it. anywas after engagement I don't see the big deal. if you are betrothed, iu are exclusive. so who needs to get married after that. what's the point.being engaged, means you are exclusive, you plan or are living together.

i don't see the need to get married.

but , for people who do. I guess they have financial or geographical or testing the waters, reasons, to not speed into it.

i don't think 5 years is alot. I mean, compared to forever.

• We got engaged because we want to marry each other, but we have other priorities before we go ahead with it (i.e. paying off our student loans, saving up money for a down payment on a house, etc.).

• that happened to me, I bn engaged for 4 years then broke up, the reason is I was not really ready to hv such commitment and get married, besides I just realized that we didn't really have good communication, he didn't let me talk with my guyfriends, how can I live with someone makes me live in a cage.

• Its just another step. Like everybody can have a boyfriend/girlfriend, but not everyone can have a fiance. Its for long term people that want their relationship more solidified but don't want to be married.

What Guys Said 0