How soon is too soon to get engaged to a person after you meet them?

How long should a couple wait before they get engaged? My boyfriend and I have only been together for a couple of months but we both KNOW we are the one for each other. We've both admitted we want to spend the rest of our lives together. So how short is too short to get married?

Most Helpful Guy

• No time set. If you feel it, go for it.

What Guys Said 2

• Not saying it's wrong to jump in that quickly, but statistically, you're setting yourselves up for a world of hurt.

Anyway, what's the rush? Why not just spend some time enjoying each others' company without worrying about commitments and wedding plans and stuff. Take awhile and just have fun being with each other before you start complicating things unnecessarily.

• If you're putting a minimum time limit on it, chances are you're trying to rush into it way too quick and need to chill out.

What Girls Said 2

• I think Brando made a good point: If you're putting a minimum time limit on you, you're probably rushing it.

Personally, I've been in two long-term relationships. The first one lasted 5 years, and my current relationship is coming up on 6 years. My first partner and I "KNEW" that we were the ones for each other after only having been together for a short time---but in the end, we ended up going our separate ways. From my experience, 6 months seems like way too soon to get engaged because I was still learning new things about my partners after having been with them for years. I don't think it's practical to assume that you'll want to spend the rest of your life with a person (30+ years) based on only being together for 6 months.

If the two of you really believe that you're going to spend the rest of your lives together, then why the rush? If it's really meant to be, is it going to make a difference if you wait a year or even a few years?

• There's no time limit for when you can feel that someone is right for you. But I think it's best to wait at LEAST a year before actually marrying them- at the very, very least. You can't truly know someone until you've been through actual life experiences together. And the younger you are, the longer it makes sense to wait.