What are the chances of a marriage lasting if both are alcoholics versus only one is?

I'm curious to know if two alcoholics enter into a marriage is it likely to last longer or indefinitely since they both enable each other & there is no pressure from either to quit. Or does a marriage fueled with alcohol & whatever goes with it make for a destructive & abusive relationship?

On the other hand would it not be a better bet of lasting if only one is the alcoholic & the other is not or is a social drinker. In my opinion neither one will most likely work out. If anyone has an opinion or has been in any of these situations I would love to hear from you.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on how they are when they drink. For me, I become more vocal until I get to the point where I just want to curl up and sleep. Plus I am less likely to feel anything sexual the more I drink. Beer goggles I do not have.

If my partner got more turned on when she drank, then there might be an issue if both of us drink. Though I have seen plenty of people become mean drunks. Plus if both drink, the idea of going out at one AM to get Taco Bell might seem like a good idea until they get into an accident.

What Guys Said 3

• I think two alcoholics have a better chance of lasting. I know some happily married alcoholic couples, though it harms their quality of life.

When only one is an alcoholic, it seems to put a large amount of strain on a relationship (my parents).

• Wow...both situations sound ridiculously unhealthy. I don't see either one working out without dedication to recovery...

• if both are alcoholic marriage will last longer in comparison to one alcoholic person

What Girls Said 0