Why are people getting engaged so young nowadays?

Teen pregnancy is a different story. that's been around for ages. My issue is people seem like they are getting engaged before they are even 25 nowadays I realized. Its all over Facebook, current high school grads showing off their engagement rings like its a new pair of shoes. I call it an epidemic. Why? Because we have our entire lives to be engaged, and/or married. Why do it now? We're living longer, til 90s and 100s and we're rushing to be wedded...its pathetic. I just feel like the divorce rate will go crazy in the next 10-15 years because so many kids wanna get married. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because we're highly sexual creatures, and also highly social, and part of our evolutionary social development has programmed us to seek out a mate as soon as we hit our childbearing years.

In light of that, I think it's pretty damn amazing that people are able to hold off for as long as they do. The social acceptability of sex before marriage probably has a lot to do with it.

And I wouldn't necessarily consider Facebook the prime example of social norms.

• This is a very good example.

What Guys Said 6

• This is the funny thing about anecdotal evidence. Sometimes it is just completely wrong. The age at which people get married has actually been steadily rising in recent history. A generation or two ago, it was strange if people WEREN'T engaged by age 25.

• As I said, the life expectancy rate has risen. People are living longer to the 90s and 100s. Why rush @ 20 to get married and you don't know what the future holds? I'd rather wait until I'm 37-45.

• Well, that is more the exception than the rule, but if you want to risk it that is your own business. Best of luck.

• Thanks :-)

• Indirectly, you are correct. But divorce rate does not go higher with people wanting to get married young; although, below 28 for a guy is certainly young and crazy. They mature much later than girls and that is why there should be a 4-6 years age difference.

Divorce rates go higher for different reasons:

1) lack of respect for the holy matrimony

2) lack of understanding for what it even meens to be married

3) thinking that you should marry the one you have loved for a few years. because expectations make you believe in fantasy.

Marriage is hard work and constant effort, an exercise of tolerance and requires room for reconciliation on day to day matters. BUT, it is the ONLY right thing.

• I don't agree with the 4-6 age gap btwn women and men. Its like saying its okay for a woman to marry young, but not okay for a guy to. That's very unfair.

• I think option 2 sounds a lot better. Women are having children later in life now, so I don't see why waiting another 3-7 years is that bad. Enjoy some time together. 21? Really?

• Ok. Its how every individual sees it. In any case, I think it got a little digressed from the actual original question. :)

• About life expectancy, I think we've reached a peak with our parents and grand parents' generations. My guess is that the tendency will change with our generation (especially because the food industry sells us cancer every day).

Regarding the teen pregnancy problem, in the vast majority of cases it's a social class issue. The lower the class, the younger they get kids, and the more kids they get. It's instinct, in my opinion. Like in the third world these days, or in Europe during the industrial revolution. No wealth means getting lots of kids, as fast as possible, in the hope some will survive (have a look at children's mortality rates in the US, it's incredible. When I first read about it, I thought it was a typo, because it was so third worldish)

And our society is getting more and more blatantly sexual (tv, woman's press, and so on).

• Because people are morons. Look at all the lemmings they killed in the first world war.

Maybe it's because of the high quality faux jewelry out there. I mean it looks like the real thing =)

• -__-

• All cogent reasons. Unfortunately some things stay the same ... I think you'll find marriage has a long history of being for economic benefits more than love =(

• Sad case.

• 1st off you are wrong. People are waiting till they are older to get married these days. Not only are the getting married at an older age but data shows that when a couple is younger they have a more happy marriage. Second of all you seem pretty angry about something that is not your business. If you don't like the data from the US census then I don't know that else to tell you. link

• First off, I'm not angry. The question aims more to young people who are ENGAGED, not married yet. You need to get your facts together, because you seem like the angry one.

• Engaged means?

• Not so sure that being engaged before 25 is so unusual. The median age of first marriage for a girl in the US is 26.1 years old. Considering lots of people are engaged for at least a year to do wedding planning, etc., that'd mean that the median girl is 25 when she's engaged. So half would be younger than that.

• Yeah, I guess you're right. Like the fellow below you said. Men are much older then the women that they marry. Ect. Hilary Duff-Former child star, was wedded by 22 and married to a 29 year old guy. It seems like its mostly the women who are 25, not the guys.

• I mean the women who are UNDER 25.

• Here are the stats:

link

What Girls Said 3

• I think that it is a definite possibility that divorce rates will skyrocket. With so many hormones raging in young bodies, combined with the social pressure to get involved in more serious relationships and commit at early ages, more people might feel pressured to get married. A trend that was really making its rounds with some high schools was the concept of YOLO (You Only Live Once). We've been conditioned to think and believe that love is for the young, so to speak. In other words, some younger people tend to think that the experience is best lived when one is younger. This is obviously a debatable point, being that many people have had their children when they were older and more established to better provide for their children.

Things aren't as they used to be and the mindset has changed on a variety of issues within America. Social pressure is definitely a factor, in my opinion, why people are choosing to get engaged at such a young age nowadays.

• I thought I was the only person who thought it was kinda weird that people are rushing to get married really young. My best friend is married, for about a year now and its still crazy to me. She just turned 23. Her boyfriend of is in the military and it seems military guys like to have that significant other to come back to, which I get. The only thing is she just told me he isn't meeting her needs not to mention he's cheated b4 they got married and I'm kinda thinking to myself this is what happens when you rush to marry young. Like you said there's so much stuff to do and experience still. Two of my other close friends are starting to hint to their bfs about marriage and I'm like really? Its puzzling to me.

• Personally, although I don't agree with young marriages, its their choice. I think it has more to do with the mindset of one before the age of full development. You have 40-something year olds who aren't ready to be "married" yet. Marriage is a huge responsibility and a lot of people just can't master it. Especially when they haven't matured yet.

• I noticed the same thing, myself. Honestly, I don't really know. Maybe it's because teens and young adults nowadays have such a glamorized idea of what marriage is like, so they end up rushing into things. They have no idea what marriage is truly about. There's even a big chance that they're more excited about the idea of having a wedding than of having a (potentially) lifelong commitment with someone. It's pretty sad.

• Haha...I thank the media. If they didn't learn anything. They see that it didn't even work for Kim K.

• Kim K isn't a real person by the way.

She's constructed from a recipe of MTV, white wine and various tabloids blendered and served with a side salad.