What is the motivation for guys getting married?

I can understand why girls want to get married, like security, and some girls like the fairy tale happy ending. But I always hear guys complaining about marriage so what is the motivation for you to get married. If your married what drove you to this is it just love? Or is it something else about the person? You also see guys that date a girl for like 3 years live together then break up, but then the next relationship lasts a year and they get married right away. Do you feel pressure from your family more than us girls to get married?

Most Helpful Guy

• We like security too...we like being with and living with someone who cares, someone to share a house with rather than a gloomy, lonely old house with belongings that sit in dead, still piles for weeks at a time, someone to share the work and house chores with, a financial partner...someone to start building a nest egg with, someone to socialize and recreate with, someone to hold onto in the iron dark..no matter how good or bad the day was...and oh yeah...got a partner to have sex with..instead of wondering whether you can pick someone up at the bar or get together with a friend...and she knows what I like and never says "ewww"...if the characteristics & properties align then not much reason not to go ahead and we only dated 4 or 5 months...when she is 34 & I am 38...why wait? ...(:(:(:

What Guys Said 11

• I'm not so sure about my future, certainly not whether I will marry or not. If I do get married, it will be because I felt I truly loved her of course.

My family doesn't pressure me. They'd rather I be happy alone than miserable, and I feel the same. I see marriage as something sacred and very serious, so for me to take that step would have to be with a really special person.

• If I'm with a girl I truly love why wouldn't I wanna spend the rest of my life with her and why wouldn't I show my dedication to her by marrying her? For me marriage is just a way of showing dedication and love.

• Famillies can put a lot of pressure on people. Especially on women as they get older.

Other people just meet someone that sems to understand them and sympathize. That's very hard to resist for anyone!

• i don't understand why people end up breaking up after like 3 years or so...and why people worry about what the other people should do when its their life and choice..(if I typed that right)..but what would motivate me and her to end up getting married is how committed we both are to be with each other and I guess how loyal for each other are etc ... its hard to explain

• -wanting to live a shorter life

-stupidity

-lack of masculinity

-being a sucker

is all I can think of for now

• Married men live longer, statistics say.

• Women actually live shorter lives when marrow and men live longer probably because the women usually make sure their mate takes care of himself which men often don't do themselves.

• well, I think you should look up more on gender's life statistics when you have a chance

• Some guys like fairy tale endings too. But I agree there's not as much excitement on the male half

• You're right - there is no reason why men should want to be married.

It's disadvantageous - first it's financial! And the second is that women so like to let themselves go after marriage.

Actually I used to be pro-marriage with all that fairy-tale imaginations, but I realized that there always need to be a little fear of losing the partner as a reason to pay the effort for the relationship to work!

..when you promise "the eternal commitment" and "always being together" - it's also understood as "you will still remain together even if I'll f*** up everything and won't make any effort anymore"

You can still have a good relationship without marriage.

Marriage doesn't make the relationship any better! Before or after marriage - it's still same good or same bad as it was before! ..just when you're not married you can always run away if something somehow goes wrong! ..and without marriage it's even less likely something may actually go wrong.

It's safer. Better.

• You don't want the relationship to end, but she wants to get married.

That's the usual motivation.

• I am going to propose to my girlfriend of 4 months pretty soon. I want to spend the rest of my life waking up to her beautiful face. She makes me and my life better by being in it. She is my motivation for wanting to get married. I love her so much!

• I want the fairytale too. I want to be her prince charming and sweep her off her feet and make it totally official, she's mine and only mine and I'm only hers. And then we get to the baby making shortly after.

• It's rumored that for my dad, it was out of babylock. I was on the way and when he found out, he decided it was he right thing to do. I don't know if this is true or not, but..at least he decided that it was he right thing to do

What Girls Said 2

• guys want to be fathers too. They like the idea of making things that half their DNA, marriage provides the security and the step towards this.

women complain about marriage just as much as men, and some men are romantic types with their head in clouds about love and marriage also.

• you don't need to get married to have children

• It's the honorable thing to do...but you wouldn't know anything about that now would you?

• Security for all the children I plan on having.