Do you think marriage is a dying institution?

A lot of women on GAG seem to think that marriage has to follow true love. However, if you look at it marriage is really not a good idea for men. A long term relationship without getting the government involved is usually the healthy route for the guy, Divorce courts usually rule in the favor of women.

I'm not going to back up my musings with detailed information because I am lazy but these are things I think of when marriage is brought up: 2009 A French woman sues her husband because of a lack of sex and won about $14 thousand. In a way doesn't this set a precedent that women can rape their husbands in France? Could you imagine the backlash from feminists if a woman was coerced into sex in such a way?

Kobe Bryant is reportedly giving his ex-wife $150 million in money and assets. How many championships has she won to deserve that money? How many points does she average per game to justify such a settlement?

One instance of a woman being screwed over is Britney Spears and K-Fed. She is paying for the house he is living in while he just continues to be a dead beat compared to her. We all know this doesn't happen often though. It is usually a successful man being taken to the cleaners.

Over half of marriages end in divorce. The numbers are different depending on who you ask but most people would agree the divorce rate is at about half. You have to assume it will happen to you to protect yourself and your future. I don't care how happy YOU THINK you are going to be.

I think that a lot of the feminists pulling the strings are stupid. I also think marriage is stupid.

Most Helpful Girl

• link

Pretty much everyone in my family have been married for 25plus years.

I think the problem in today's world is people don't take their vows seriously and aren't fighting for their future. Relationships are hard work it's just a matter of finding someone worth the fight. No relationship is perfect and people fight but you make it work. I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years and we have been threw so much but at the end of the day I love him and I will never give up on us because he is worth the fight and the struggles and the good and the bad the for better and for worse.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Imagine allowing yourself to love in this way, to realize that no fight or angry moment or holding a grudge to never allowing old mistakes get in the way. Marriage can be a very special and rewarding thing, it doesn't need to be a joke..

What Girls Said 5

• Yes I do! First off it is becomming less sacred every day! State and federal goverment changes are making it not necessary to be married to gain the insentivies that once were such as insurance through the spouces work etc.

I also think Brittany Spears was not the best example to use here as she pretty much deserves everything she gets.

I by the way am a very very happy single mom and intend to keep it that way!

• She's the only example I've heard of :) Her money is still hers because of all of her hard work and K-Fed should have been sent packing with what he came into the relationship with. Same with Kobe, he is a scumbag in his personal life but all of that money he earned is his and his wife shouldn't get such a big payout because Kobe cheated on her 100 plus times.

• Unfortunately that is what marriage is all about! He or she who has it, is going to loose a bunch of it! And Kobe should be castrated and 80% of every dollar he ever earns should go to her! I have f*ucked a lot of men and will probably do a lot more in my lifetime, but the one thing I cannot stand is a cheat, be it guy or girl, married, relationship, bf/gf. It is way too easy to stay single as I do and f*ck whoever, whenever you want.

• Divorce rate is so damn high because now days people give more thought to buy a car than getting married.

My cousin married his 4 month boyfriend and she got a divorced only after a year. Or K kardashian the damn woman got a divorced with 72 days wtf.

My parents have been married for 25 years, my grandparents 54. My siblings hare all married and happy. My brother dated his wife 4 years before getting married and my sister 6.

Marriage is a big commitment.If people actually follow through and stop cheating or rushing into things the rate would be much lower.

• I think marriage is good for those with a solid, true-love relationship and kids. But as someone who doesn't want children yet wants a monogamous relationship, a good part of me wants to keep my last name and a bunch of other things separate (e.g. finances). This rings true especially when you mention Britney and K-Fed's case (I will be doing the paying haha). Perhaps a spiritual marriage may be good for someone like me but a legal one can stay away, IMO.

• If you don't plan on having kids I can't see a reason for it ... you can have a happy relationship without the friendship certficate.

• Yep, that's the thing. And I love my last name; I'm not giving up my family heritage just because I'm a girl and want to be with someone.

• marriage is a beauty nothing else to say about it ;)

• Well your mindset is wrong in the true meaning of marriage, it shouldn't be about money or things. You go into a marriage for love. I don't think people see marriage as forever anymore which opens up a lot of issues. Unless ppls attitude changes marriage will become pointless and meaningless.

Answer mine please: link

• People go in to marriage for love, but if the love ends, they find out it basically is a long term contract for the higher income spouse to support the lower income spouse, even if they split.

• V true but I think people give up on marriage too easily and need to work at it. Of course that happens, we live in a capitalist society after all!

What Guys Said 7

• The divorce rate is so high because people are immature, short-sighted, or otherwise marry for the wrong reasons, i.e. the sex is good, they have a kid/they're pregnant, they're "in love", etc. Another huge problem is that people don't take commitment as seriously. They don't prepare themselves for marriage. The problem is not with marriage.

Plus, there's less of a stigma on divorce today. Divorce is a lot easier to come by and more socially accepted than it was when our parents and grandparents were growing up. My grandfather and his mother were abused. She wanted a divorce, but they still had that label on them. Today, if a woman and her kids were being abused, no one would question her for getting a divorce.

• I don't agree with marriage because I don't conform to a religion and it is technically a religious ceremony plus it's more of a legal and financial binding than anything else. If two people really love each other they shouldn't have to get married... unfortunately I'll probably not be able to find a lass who shares my views and so would be okay with an unofficial wedding - a nice celebration probably at our own house and garden or a relatives house and garden, the result of which is that we have announced our love and devotion to each other but without actually being legally bound to each other. Basically the only thing that says we are married is each other.

But yeah I bet nobody would really go for that... unless she was an islander from one of the smallest islands in the world or somethin'.

• women are to easy now for a man to marry her. men are in large numbers beggining to boycott marrige because who wants to marry a aging whore whos spent her best years sucking some other guys d***

• Yes. marriage is obsolete. I can appreciate some people have a need to hold on to this moral institution, but it just doesn't jive in our sinful society. It's just a romantic notion from the old world.

As a contract, marraige does not pass the legality muster of quid pro quo.

• sorry I stopped at the part where you were talking about men getting raped by women.

• Lol, if some hag was ruining my life and destroying my male identity I would rather go watch p*rn than touch her. But I see where you are coming from.

• well if you aren't interested in sex with her anymore then its obviously time for a divorce. that being said, there are legal measure you can take when you get married to make sure she can't take your money and vice versa.

• I agree with that, but I don't think it is healthy for a society to have cases that set a precedent for one gender to rape another even in a strange case like the one I mentioned. It also shows how much power feminists have on the institution of marriage if you can be legally coerced into sex for fear that you will lose money.

• Not dying, but getting more and more unimportant to more and more people.

• Yes I do