How much should I spend?

i went to a few stores but I can't seem to figure out how much to spend?

how much is a guy meant to spend on an engagement ring anyway?

i don't earn a lot of money at the moment, and iv got a very nice one lined up, its gonna cost around $1100

is that too much or not enough?

i went to the shop again today, and there were some rings on special.

there was one that I was looking at last time I was in, and it went down in price, it is now $700

is it ok to get a ring that is knocked down in price?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the 3 months worth of pay rule is basically for the idea that a man should pay an amount he can afford based on his income...

My engagement ring cost about $200..the diamond was so small I literally had to tell people, yes...theres one in there... Considering how much my guy was making and all his financial responsibilities, even that was a splurge and I felt incredibly lucky that he dropped that kind of cash on me and I loved that ring.

If my boyfriend now spent $200 on a ring for me, Id be insulted, in tears and instantly single...he spends more than that taking me out for dinner. If he wants something, he doesn't even look to see how much it costs...he will just buy it (Im trying and failing to teach him the finer art of comparison shopping)... I would want what is supposed to be a symbolic token of his commitment to me to be at least on the same level of "worth it" as his impulse buys...ideally even more so.

In the end, as long as you can afford it and like the ring...plus it seems you took a lot of things into consideration from the style to how it would look on her hand...then that counts for everything.

What Girls Said 5

• It's supposed to be your income for 3 months. That's the rule all my friends follow. The ring I have picked out is 7,000 but my guy makes quite a lot of money. My ex made a lot of money and he didn't want to pay more then a grand. I know it's about what it means but it still hurt my feelings that he only wanted to spend a thousand dollars on my ring. He spent three times that much in a week on dumb shit he doesn't need. He would go buy all kinds of stuff that would end up in the garbage in a month and still say he didn't have the money to get me a nice ring. It just made me feel like that stupid garbage was worth more to him than I was.

• Well in truth I don't make a lot of money, I use to, at one point I was making almost $3000 a week.

but now I'm barly eurn $250 a week. so I don't have a lot of money at the moment.

• Just do what you can afford, she will appreciate the effort and be excited about the engagement. As long as you're not spending a shit load of money on yourself while telling her you don't have money to spend on her, you'll probably be ok. Get her what you can now and down the road you can get her a nicer one if you wish.

• Yes, getting one on sale is just fine. It's not like she will ask how much it was. It would be rude of her to. If it's a nice ring at a great price then tha'ts even better!!

• Of course...just don't tell her you bought it on sale! :)

• that's a good amount...i saw one the other day that was $48,800! WAAAAY too much imao.

as long as you think that she'll like it it'll be perfect. GOOD LUCK!

• That is a good amount to spend. Even a little less would be okay. Just make sure the ring is nice :)

• I think that it is, its only small, because she has small hands, the stone is raised a little with a small wave of dimonds either side of the main on, I think it looks nice anyway. =)

• as long as she doesn't find out lol.

What Guys Said 6

• The rule of thumb is three months salary for an engagement ring so those with higher income pay a lot more for a ring, so it's all prorated.

I think that, rather than follow this rule, you should get a ring that you can afford and that she likes. For example, if I followed this rule, then I would be buying a ring for about (well, a large amount) and there's NO WAY that I'm spending that amount for a bit of metal and rock. We have already picked out a ring in the $7000.00 range that both of us are happy with.

• Umm it really is just a ring after all. If the female trully loves you she will accept anything. I've had girls tell me that it doesn't matter, it could be a plastic ring, a rubber o-ring or something along those lines, just as long as the man means what he says, treats her nice and loves her. The ring is a Symbol, it doesn't have to cost you a lot. It really is up to you, but I will assure you if she loves you she will like whatever you get her :)

• It`s being said an engagement ring should cost roughly about what you earn in 3 months. A wedding ring is about the sum you earn in half a year! (What a rip-off for us guys) Any Jeweleers here to confirm this?

• It's something like 3 or 4 months salary.. as a rule. But who follows rules? ;)

• i think its enough.

• There are all kinds of formulas to determine how much you should spend on wedding & engagement rings.

But I think most of those formulas are invented by jewelry shop owners and wedding planners. Take all the formulas with skepticism, none of them are gospel truth.

A marriage is about two people joining their lives. The ring is a symbol. Don't get fooled into thinking that the cost of the symbol is what matters. If she truly loves you, and is not shallow, the cost or style of the ring won't matter.

In fact, I think the girl should have no choice in selecting the engagement ring. But that's another topic.