Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?

Just out of curiosity would you as an individual ask for/sign a prenuptial with your spouse? I mean with the divorce rate hovering at ~50% wouldn't it be logical to sign one?

Personally I wouldn't even consider getting married without one, even though I love the person the future is so uncertain and people change. My hope would to be with that person forever of course, but in the event that, that didn't happen I would want the security a prenuptial gives the individuals in the relationship, especially if both people were in high earning careers.

(Marriage is no where in my foreseeable future, I was just curious as to how others saw this)

Most Helpful Guy

• I didn't ask for one.

I guess I should have.

I viewed marriage as an expression of love and declaration of our mutual desire to build a life together.

Legally, all it is is a long term commitment from whoever earns more to keep handing over money for years if not decades after the relationship ends. Its nothing more then that (legal marriage).

What Guys Said 4

• pre-nubs are not really for people just starting out, which is pretty much anyone under 25 excepting those who have inherited family fortunes.

Widows and widowers, divorcees, etc.. after lifetimes of acruing wealth may be interested in the prospect if the other person isn't in the same economic class. If both of them have the same amount money going in, it may not be needed.

• Yeah, I'd sign one

but it's more often than not the girls walk away with the money as they're the housewives

If I doubted her intentions then I wouldn't be getting married in the first place

• if I had assets which I wished to protect or if she had assets she wanted to protect then yeah

• Ask? More like require. I have to much stuff to get married without a prenup

What Girls Said 1

• I agree that a pre-nup is the way to go. In this day and age where things and people are uncertain, it is always best to protect yourself.