I'm 22 and my girlfriend is 21, we've been together a year and we want to get married should we wait another 3 years to tie the knot
Most Helpful Girl
I dated my husband for 5 years before we tied the knot. By then we knew for sure. 21 and 22 is pretty young, but I don't know what your relationship is like and how you two are with other. I wouldn't say you should wait 3 years, but I think you should wait and revisit this in another year.
Marriage is not to be taken lightly because if you're not ready, it can wreak havoc in your life in more ways than you'd think. Living together won't help you get the fundamentals of a good marriage either.
By then you should give your relationship the 12-point relationship test
1. You have very few arguments and when you do, you resolve them easily and without drama
2. She makes you feel secure about where you stand in her life and you in hers
3. She gets along with the people you love and you get along with the people she loves
4. You're financially stable enough to take care of yourself, your girl and if a child were to enter the picture
5. You're clear on what she expects of you and you try to meet those standards and visa versa
6. There are no episodes of betrayal, either through cheating or lying.
7. You feel comfortable telling her the most embarrassing things and feel you can talk to each other about almost everything
8. You support each others goal, dreams and aspirations
9. You share several goals and ideas about the future.
10. You have a firm understand that relationships have their ups and downs
11. You have a firm understanding that love is a breathing living thing that needs to watered, given sunlight and worked on so it doesn't die
12. You are each others' best friends.
Once you've passed this 12 point inspection, then feel free do the damn thang!8