Would you marry someone after dating them for a year

I'm 22 and my girlfriend is 21, we've been together a year and we want to get married should we wait another 3 years to tie the knot

Most Helpful Girl

• I dated my husband for 5 years before we tied the knot. By then we knew for sure. 21 and 22 is pretty young, but I don't know what your relationship is like and how you two are with other. I wouldn't say you should wait 3 years, but I think you should wait and revisit this in another year.

Marriage is not to be taken lightly because if you're not ready, it can wreak havoc in your life in more ways than you'd think. Living together won't help you get the fundamentals of a good marriage either.

By then you should give your relationship the 12-point relationship test

1. You have very few arguments and when you do, you resolve them easily and without drama

2. She makes you feel secure about where you stand in her life and you in hers

3. She gets along with the people you love and you get along with the people she loves

4. You're financially stable enough to take care of yourself, your girl and if a child were to enter the picture

5. You're clear on what she expects of you and you try to meet those standards and visa versa

6. There are no episodes of betrayal, either through cheating or lying.

7. You feel comfortable telling her the most embarrassing things and feel you can talk to each other about almost everything

8. You support each others goal, dreams and aspirations

9. You share several goals and ideas about the future.

10. You have a firm understand that relationships have their ups and downs

11. You have a firm understanding that love is a breathing living thing that needs to watered, given sunlight and worked on so it doesn't die

12. You are each others' best friends.

Once you've passed this 12 point inspection, then feel free do the damn thang!

What Girls Said 19

• I definitely wouldn't get married or enganged in one year. It's almost been a year with my boyfriend, and I'm still very opposed. In another year, I'd be more likely to go for engagement, but I absolutely do not want to be married before I turn 25.

With what you've said, I'd say go for the engagement and let it sit that way for a while, don't pin down any plans for getting married just yet. Juuuuuuust in case, it's easier to call off an engagement than it is to call off an entire wedding or get a divorce. Better safe than sorry at this point.

• Married? No. Get engaged, sure but only if I thought things were going really really well for that year. I've been with my boyfriend for a little over a year now and I'd say yes if he asked me to marry him because it just feels right being with him. I think it's good to be together for at least two years before you tie the knot though. You wanna make sure you've spent enough time with that person and seen them through multiple seasons and life events so that you can decide if this is someone you could really see yourself being with for the rest of your life.

• I cannot tell you when it best for you to get married,

you know your relationship better than anyone else.

If you both feel you are ready for that type of commitment then by all means go through with it.

I wish you luck.

• Since y'all have been together for a while but are still so young I would say no. In fact I would recommend taking a break from each other date other people now that you guys are adults and if y'all are "meant to be" or even truly well suited for each other you will end up together. But no DO NOT get married don't even get engaged there is just so much out there and being in a committed relations for so long at such a young age will make you miss it.

• I think a year is just enough time to start leaving the 'honeymoon' phase. It's your judgement call I guess, but if it were me, I'd want to wait.

• If you want to, yes! my mom and my stepdad were married after 8 months and they're perfectly happy. If she's really the only person you want to be with and you feel confident about making her your life partner, then I say go for it.

• I would say no just so you both know you love each other and not just the idea of being married. So waiting wouldn't harm anything but taking the risk and getting hurt could harm you guys

• My parents were married in less than a year of meeting each other and will be celebrating their 29th anniversary. If you feel that you are ment to be together then why wait? Don't base your decisions off of what society thinks is "normal"

• Marriage is good to have, I so agree! It seals your relationship and tells her you are serious about her and won't be a commitment phobe

--My married friends and family

• Wait another 3 years. Ask her to move in with you.

• I would wait if I were you.. people change a lot in their early 20's

• it depends on if you are both committed. I say do it. besides, no one is ever really ready for marriage. The only thing that separates the ones who divorce from the ones who don't is a mutual decision to stick it out forever.

good luck!

• Wait another 3 years. There's no rush.

• Didn't you ask yesterday if you should break up with her? In that case, I have to say no. Don't marry her. You both deserve far better, with people you are sure you love!

• You should probably wait a little while longer, 90% of marriages involving under 30 year olds end in divorce.

• If I had no doubts and I knew where we both stood financially, emotionally, what our goals for the future were. I'm not the type of person that really puts a time on things anyway. I prefer to let it just progress naturally, and if we mutually felt that marriage was the next step, and were prepared then so be it. But every relationship is different. Good luck in yours.

• I have a friend that dated this girl for a year and now they're getting married. But she's 28 and he's 27. When I asked him why he was getting married to her, he said that he's marrying her because he needs insurance and that he loves her.

Now let's see how long this will last. They're marrying in Sept.

• I would wait. Being 21 and 22 is a little too young, because you both are still changing, and you might not be the same person 3 years from now. If you really love each other, the three years won't make a difference.

• It depends how I feel about the person but I think one year is not enough time

• No, why wait?

What Guys Said 3

• What's the rush into getting married at your age? I would get everything in order. Get a stable housing environment, and ensure that your job is stable. Then, start saving. If you have enough money to support yourself for six months without adding any more money, then get married. Remember, marriage is expensive.

• It doesn't have to be. It's not a grandiose wedding you're trying to accomplish. Its your love and commitment towards each other

• It's still a smart move to not rush into a marriage without being financially stable.

• no. a year isn't sh*t in comparison to a life time. But its enough to piss me off if someone wasted my time for a year. I wouldn't even bother with marriage, but, if you HAVE to, then I'd say wait until you live with each other for a few years maybe even 4-5 then you know what its going to be like. So you can know each other better. If I had a buck for every time an ex tried to talk me into marriage I'd have at least 8 divorces right now and I'd be poor.

• Just some input: One of my mates got married really young after a short time with his Girlfriend then eventually got divorced, he has been with his current girl friend for 7 years and has majorly screwed up his ability to commit.

In saying that I know people who married young and as far as I know are really happy together.