I am a 24 year old guy with a 29 year old girlfriend; She is my first girlfriend. I just got offered a job at another state and I have decided to take the job. I have also been thinking of proposing to this girl and taking her with me. I know I shouldn't though, but since she is my first girlfriend I feel so attach to her. I even think I love her, even though I could be having these feelings simply because she is my first girlfriend. Originally, I wanted to get a job in my trade, start my own business eventually, and marry at 35 with a 24 year old woman. What do I do to stop myself?
Most Helpful Girl
I answered a similar question like this:
Marriage is not to be taken lightly because if you're not ready, it can wreak havoc in your life in more ways than you'd think. Whether this is your first or 15th relationship is not what matters here. Want to know if you're ready for that big step...Give your relationship this 12 point inspection. It will give you an indication on whether 'you' feel ready to take the plunge or not.
1. You have very few arguments and when you do, you resolve them easily and without drama
2. She makes you feel secure about where you stand in her life and you in hers
3. She gets along with the people you love and you get along with the people she loves
4. You're financially stable enough to take care of yourself, your girl and if a child were to enter the picture
5. You're clear on what she expects of you and you try to meet those standards and visa versa
6. There are no episodes of betrayal, either through cheating or lying.
7. You feel comfortable telling her the most embarrassing things and feel you can talk to each other about almost everything
8. You support each others goal, dreams and aspirations
9. You share several goals and ideas about the future.
10. You have a firm understand that relationships have their ups and downs and that there will be lulls. You will constantly have to find ways to keep things fresh.
11. You are each others' best friends...or at least really close.
12. You have a firm understanding that love is a breathing living thing that needs to be watered, given sunlight and worked on so it doesn't die
Of course, none of this matters, if you're just 'not' comfortable with the idea of marrying her at this time. She is older and I don't know the dynamics of your relationship. I say, when you've found the one, there's no need to keep searching. Only fools do.0