Marrying first and only boyfriend?

Just wondering what everyone's opinion on this situation is.

A couple starts dating in high school and stays together all the way through college never breaking up. They then move in together after college and live with each other for another two years. This guy was the girls first kiss ad first everything. He's only had short high school relationships before her. They're now talking marriage and neither claims they have any doubts and have no interest in dating other people. Do you think it's smart to get married without either of them really daring or having a serious relationship with someone else? I'm curious to hear these answers.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think its a great idea, and here are my reasons:

1. The relationship works. The value of a relationship that "works" cannot be overstated. Many people go their entire lives seeking a relationship that works, and they can never find one.

2. Other than grounds of curiosity, there is no real *good* reason to break up. Why leave someone important to you behind? What did they do to you to deserve this? Because you were so selfish you would rather betray them because you wanted to go out and have a bunch of experiences with other people? Beyond showing them how massively shallow you can be, there is no real reason to break up.

3. Getting married earlier is better than later. All of the "good" people are taken by the time you are 30. Then you get leftovers, divorcees, and other fails. Get what you want fast, while the getting is good! You think there might be something better, but what if by the time you find it you realize you had it and its too late? Statistically, I think this is the case as people get older and pair up and those left unpaired were unpaired for a reason. The longer you wait, the worse it gets.

4. You both start out with nothing (probably). This is a great reason! Why wait later in life, after you amass wealth, and then you are constantly thinking the other person might really love you because of your money or your accomplishments. Going with the old sweetheart means they love you for you, and not for what you have.

• I agree 100% with you

• Thanks. If you found this answer to be helpful (or as the case may be, most helpful), please be sure to mark as best answer. If not, well, then, umm, I'll try harder next time :)

What Guys Said 7

• This is actually my sister's story. He was her first, she was his, like, 16th. They weren't even together a couple months before he gave her a promise ring. They are now married and have a son. They had a graphic design company they started together. The economy didn't like it, though.

I think that sometimes, there's a connection that is so obvious and clear that it really doesn't feel like a previous relationship, but something different entirely. High school, in my opinion, is much to early to discover this connection, because you're likely to feel "sex" and think "love" and you've never felt something that intense before. But seeing as they have lived together already for a couple years in college, that's much more than my sister had, so it's certainly possible.

But the key word here is "possible." Not "probable" or "certain". If it turns out to be some sort of single-phobia like I often see, then they're heading for disaster. It's a big gamble, but those two years together must count for something in terms of a test-drive.

• That works on occasion, but not very often, and only when it's what both people REALLY want. I think the vast majority of people don't find the right person for them so early in life, and want to try some relationships out and get some experience (and have some fun, too) before they settle down.

• I'd wanna explore more before settling down. The main reason many couples divorce or break up is because they settle for whatever they can get, and that is usually not the best choice, as they soon come to realize.

• What is meant to be will be.

• I married my best friend from high school but we dated each

other for a few years, I say go for it

• Are you two not happy with each other? Do you two have your heads in lala land and are not aware of the amount freaks, nutt-cases, pyscho-nutts out there?! Are you also not familiar with ubiquitous adultery present?

^Just other thoughts to consider as you seem to be considering all possibilities...

• Lol no I think it's agreat idea I'm just wondering what the outside world thinks of it

• I see no problems with it if they are serious about it with each other. Unfortunately, many of the people in this situation will go on a break to have fun with other people, which makes me cringe. But, that's the culture we live in.

What Girls Said 4

• I think you have to recognize happiness when it's there. If you are happy with someone, if you've felt that joy of having met someone, it doesn't matter if it's your first, second or thousandth. You happened to meet a wonderful human being in high school, good luck! If on the other hand, you've always felt that yes, you get along but you feel you're supposed to feel differently, that things are supposed to get better or if you feel you're settling for something "OK" and not "great", then you've let this go on for a long time.

Otherwise, if you're happy, no other ideas matter.

• When you're in love, you're in love. Why move away from a relationship that works and that's successful? It would be in my opinion dumb to end it. It's about quality not quantity.

• I think its awesome because there will be no comparisons which cause regreats like I wish I had gone with John or Mike etc.

• It is nice theoretically, but I don't recommend it at all!

I am in that situation, we were 7 years together, than married, and now, two years later...I am thinking how it would be with another guy...

I think, it is the best if both of them had some relationships earlier. Later or sooner, one of them will be curious!