Marrying someone like your father? Is it true?

'They' always say that girls are going to marry someone like their father. Whether it be for that security blanket, or the similar personalities, even look wise sometimes. I've been told this all my life by my dad even saying, "You're gonna marry someone JUST. LIKE. ME" after I tell him something he's doing is weird. So...girls...is it true? Did you end up marrying or at least dating someone who was like your father at one point? And guys, are you like her father in anyway? :)

Most Helpful Girl

• ^_^ I believe it's true that females marry men who resemble their father in some way or another. It may not ALWAYS be true. But I believe there is truth in it. =)

What Guys Said 5

• Yes it's true! This phenomena is clearly evident in the men that girls choose who grew up with abusive fathers; they often go for the complete a**holes who treat them badly. Conversely, girls who were abandoned by their father either leech on to guys they date in fear of the guy ever leaving them or they often find themselves breaking up with guys just so they're not the ones ever to be dumped/left. A good father is crucial in the upbringing of his daughters lives. I was similar to my last girlfriends dad and also to one of my other exes grandfather. I see myself as being a very protective father, especially since I want mostly daughters.

• Indeed, there's a saying: "children of battered women are battered women"

Daughters of abused women are six times more likely to be sexually abused as girls from non-abusive families. read more: link

• Interesting link man, thanks!

• Indeed, it's true and it's logical, up to a certain point: the first man a girl knows during childhood and who she admires is her dad.

Thus, when growing up, a girl will (unknowingly) have some idea about how an ideal 'man'/'husband'/'father' should be. Guess whose type she'll chose.

Guys who don't want to accept the idea that they have common characteristics with their father in law ,can always find consolation in the reasoning that

-an intelligent girl sees through this pattern

-many girls revolt against their dad during puberty and choose knowingly for a man who's the exact opposite of their dad (I'm the opposite of my late father in law and my son is the opposite of his wife's dad. (a) (a))

• If a girl has a great dad, she SHOULD be looking for a man with similar qualities. That is one of the ways a dad takes care of his daughter - by preparing her for a life without him someday.

• awwwwww :) This answer just kinda made my heart melt lol <3 and it's kinda depressing...lol

• that's why dad's are so protective. Next time you're giving your dad a hard time, see it from his perspective.

• It is a popular saying that daughters have boyfriends which resemble their fathers, and... sons have girlfriends which resemble their mothers!

..but I think it's just a fast-traveling, huge balooney with no proof which confuses, amuses or just plain makes people think.

..oh damn - I just now figured this out! Ohhhh fuuuuuck! OF COURSE!

People, you know what?

Remember the times when family had huge influence who their kids marry? When men had to "ask the hand of the daughter" to her father... ?

..when father actually chose the spouses of his kids? So, simply - when the man is similar or resembles the girl's father - it's more likely that her father will approve him - birds of a feather and thus - will LET her to marry that man!

• yes, my sister is with a guy like my dad.

What Girls Said 5

• I had a mildly abusive father growing up, so I always told myself NO. No way. I won't bring another HIM into my family!

However, I recently became positive that I will, in fact, marry someone just like him. Not the abusive part, like I'd thought, but all the other positive traits my father has. He's intelligent, opinionated, hardworking, and has an obnoxious sense of humor. I just know my husband will have all of those, because I keep falling for guys who do. :)

• I'm not quite sure, but when my boyfriend met my father for the first time and they walked next to each other, my mom was like "damn they walk the exact same way" and it was true I never noticed before. It wasn't only walking but their entire body language was a lot alike

And thinking about it I think my ex boyfriend resembled my dad in some way.

And I believe there has been some research done that confirms that women tend to chose men that resmebles their fathers. Appearently having some amount similar genes increases the chance of getting pregnant. And I guess it also makes sense that we feel safer and more comfortable with men that are like our fathers. They also found out that if you have a bad relationship with your dad you're less likley to end up with a guy that resembles him.

i saw a picture of angelina jolies dad when he was young the other day and he indeed looked a bit like brad pit, I thought it was kinda funny

• This freaks me out to the point where I don't even want to date. The only similarity I notice about men I find attractive and my dad is that they usually are tall and have the same hair color. Other than than that... Ugh. bleck. I need to marry some short blond guy. This grosses me out.

• why'd you have to ask this question now I'm going to be freaked out and disgusted all day!

• I REALLY hope not.

• Nah, the guy I end up with would not be like how my father is today. I can see why girls would end up marrying someone like their father though.