19 and married?? I need advice on possibly getting married or breaking up.

My girlfriend and I have been dating for almost 3 years. We were high school sweethearts and went to college together. Things changed for me and I had to go back home from college for a while. We love each other and didn't want to break up and did long distance for a while. 8 months to be exact. She was supposed to come home during the Summer, but she didn't. I figured she'd come back in the Fall. Well, yesterday she told me she wasn't. We have been talking about getting married for a long time. We both come from 'good' families. So marriage wasn't far fetched. She, however, was not able to commit to such a decision just yet.

For a while, she has been telling me she has a feeling. She feels like we haven’t dated enough to make such a decision. She says that if she had the experience of dating; marriage would be an easier decision. I have and had a very very hard time with the idea of her, my girlfriend, the love of my life dating other men. However, I believe that maybe just maybe her getting the dating experience and living the single life will come to show her that its not great. She wanted to take a break, however, I will not be a rebound. If she wants to date I want her to be alone and really experience what its like to be single. I need advice. I’m confused.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds like she just wants to escape. Either way she is no where near ready for marriage, she's already talking about dating others. In all honesty she wants to explore. That basically says what you have with her is not what she wants, whether she makes a mistake or not, she wants out. I don't think what she's doing is fair to you if she expects you to wait around. I'd break it off with her if she wants to look elsewhere but I wouldn't give her an ultimatum. Just react as a result of what she does rather than telling her if she does this you'll do that...

What Girls Said 3

• First off, young, contemporary married couples almost always see divorce in their future. Don't get married because you want to tie her down. You're both extremely young. You should both experience the dating life and life outside of each other in general. Long distance relationships are very hard and don't always work out.

If you love each other, stay together. If you both want to explore new options, then you could both take a break. Whatever's meant to be, will be and if it's fate, then you two will end up together somehow.

• Let her date and you should date too. Most people who marry young end up divorcing and fairly young too. There is a chance that one or both of you will fall for someone else but there is also a chance that you two will come back together and have a stronger bond because of the experience.

• If the options are "get married or break-up", obviously the answer isn't going to be get married.

When you get married, it's a equal decision where both people are actually excited to do so!

Giver her what she wants, let her date.

What Guys Said 1

• You could get engaged without a wedding date.