Is not wanting to wear an engagement/wedding ring really that bad?

Would you be indifferent or offended if your SO told you they'd rather not wear the ring?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well unless she works around moving machinery, then I would expect her to wear it. Now on the other hand I work on a oil rig, so I can't even if I wanted to. We had a guy about 3 months ago lose his finger and some of his ligaments in his hand because of him wearing his wedding band. And now he has nothing there to put the band on now.

What Guys Said 16

• I do not take "marrige" lightly, and do not plan on ever getting married (it's just a written document to me saying exactly what any other relationship is supposed to be)

but even if I gave her a ring to wear, not even for engagement, her refusing to wear it in public is the same as her asking me if she's allowed to let guys flirt with and hit on her, to tell them publicly that she is available. the ONLY way I would accept her refusal to wear it is if it changed the color of her skin, and in that case we would got shopping right away.

So, her telling me she doesn't want to wear it, without any good explaination, is the same as her telling me it's over between us.

• im not sure how id feel. I mean I reckon id be okay with it, but at the same time I wouldn't be. Its an odd prospect to consider.

• Frankly...yes I would.

-----

If you're a student, you carry an ID card as long as you're a student

If you are able to drive, you carry a driver's license as long as you're driving.

If you're an employee in customer service, you wear a nametag whenever you're on the job.

-----

If you are my wife, if you're out anywhere, you're wearing a wedding ring. Otherwise it sounds suspicious.

What...she doesn't want to let people know she's married? Why the f*ck not?

• because the ring is extremely gaudy.

• Then that's definitely negotiable. I wouldn't give my future wife a super-juicy wedding ring; it's impractical to have a sugar-cube-sized rock on your hand everyday.

Did someone propose to you with a juicy rock on the ring?

• my situation is pretty complicated... it boils down to him wanting me to wear a pretty attention-grabbing ring that I don't really want to wear.

• I would be VERY offended. What can be the possible justification for not wanting to wear it? Do you intend on cheating? Do you intend on making it appear as if you're not engaged and still single?

• the reasoning doesn't have to be malevolent lol. what if she simply doesn't like walking around with a gigantic diamond on her finger?

• I actually don't like large rings because of my profession. And I'm clutsy. So when I wear big rings I catch them on things or rip through gloves that should be protecting me. So I'd prefer a simple band. Maybe with stones embedded, but nothing that sticks above the glove. But any guy who's marrying a girl like that should know those things.

• If I'm marrying a woman, I will already know she doesn't like a large wedding ring, so I would accomidate a need like how sef0181 said.

Frankly, any wife of mine is wearing a ring. If she doesn't' want stones for some reason a band is perfectly OK. :)

• i would be offended, it is like you are hiding it.

• i'm not a jewlery wearing kind of person, it would bother to wear it I think. I would just need to know that they for sure loved me. also I threw my dads down the toilet when I was a kid so he's hasn't ever worn one lol

• I don't want to wear a ring either. I've always been against it... I hate rings. I'll put mine on a necklace if she insists. =P

• seems like a good compromise :)

• i wish I knew lol. sigh. anyways, gotta run to class!

• lol, sounds uncomfortable. Good luck. =)

• Well I wouldn't propose anyway but if I were to and you said yes, and then later said you didn't want to wear the ring, yea that would be messed up

• I would be offended and why wouldn't you that's a way of showing you're happy with that person but idk I would think it's a little shady if they don't want to unless they have a good reason because they could be cheating

• all the better, don't need to waste my hard earned cash on a rock on a piece of metal

• Not too bad. :)

• i wouldn't care as long as i don't have to buy it

if I'm buying it, you're wearing it or we're done

You want to get married and not wear a ring yet own one? Buy it yourself

• I would be offended if my wife said she would rather not. It would make me feel insecure about the relationship. It would make me wonder about any underlying motive such as an affair. I would feel like a divorce may be coming my way. Not to mention I spent a few hundred on that ring.

• I would be really offended if she didn't want to wear it. Plain and simple.

• Depends on the reason she doesn't want to wear it, but generally speaking, I'd expect her to be wearing it all the time. That sort of comes with the whole "accepting it" thing.

• i'd be disappointed. it would make me think she wants other guys to think she's single

What Girls Said 8

• Wearing a ring is to show you are married. The idea behind it really is to say "I'm married. No crossing the line buddy"without having to actually say it. When someone doesn't want to wear a ring it automatically makes me thing why they would want to hide it or refrain from showing this. I'd link someone who doesn't wan to wear a ring to someone who doesn't want to show they are married for whatever reasons. Perhaps they like the attention, perhaps they have a wondering eye...who knows but bottom line it really speaks for itself if your husband or wife doesn't wan to show they are married. If my future husband told me he wasn't going to wear his ring then I would most definitely have a serious talk with him asking him where his loyalty lies. You can't be married but still like getting treated like your single. Somewhere something is wrong then between you, your maturity and the feelings you have for your partner. If you genuinely can say you don't want to wear a ring because it annoys you then wear it as a necklace instead to still show respect towards your husband or wife. Life is not always just about you. Sometimes you have to do with things out of respect for your partner because you love them. You shouldn't be having trouble telling people you are married. It shouldn't be something you are ashamed of. If you are then you shouldn't be married.

• I have a friend who *hates* rings. I think that if you hate wearing them, you should be upfront with a guy to start with (and by start with, I mean casually mentioning how much you hate rings, not in a buy-me-a-ring way).

Personally if a guy bought me a huge engagement ring I'd say no anyway because he obviously doesn't know me that well. (I'm in and out of gloves for work all the time/I catch large rings on objects all day long. ie I am a simple band kinda gal)

• My dad's an electrician and I've never ever seen him wear a ring. It's not a sign of infidelity, but a sign of utmost trust. So it wouldn't bother me if a guy wouldn't wear a ring. It's kinda shocking to see guys with rings on because I'm not used to it.

• Wearing rings drive me nuts. I take them off constantly so I can do things with my hands, so I'd be paranoid of leaving it somewhere and losing it. I'd consider putting it on a chain and wearing it as a necklace though.

• I would be offended. I expect him to wear it 24/7, unless he has to take it off for a few minutes to work on something so he won't lose it.

• You could wear it as a pendant on a necklace. Personally, I can understand not wanting to wear a ring because just having anything foreign on my hand all the time bothers me the same way putting socks on a cat bothers it.

• I.dont think so. I for one HATE jewlery and will never want a ring. I mean I own plenty that was viven to me from family members and.NEVER touch it!

• I wouldn't marry him if he wouldn't wear a ring to show he was married just shows the he likes the attention more then me

• indifferent. I don't want to wear the ring either, I think wedding rings are a waste of money. could spend all that dough on something more fun

• that's a really good idea...wish more people thought that way

• That's what wedding bands are for! :)

Frankly...i'd be damned if I'm spending "3 months salary" on a ring lol.