Would you marry a man or woman who your family doesn't care for?

I am wondering if you would marry a man or woman who your family doesn't care for?

(You can any reason for them not liking that other person)

Most Helpful Guy

• It is difficult to have a harmonious life with kids if you cannot take your husband/wife to your parents. If it is just that they don't care for him/her, and find him/her "not ideal", they'll just have to live with it. But if my family detest the person and will use any opportunity to go into conflict - that will make tings much more difficult.

Say if my parents are really nice people, but they cannot accept me marrying someone with different skin color. They're racist to the core in other words. That would not make a very nice environment for kids to experience. On the other hand, that might be just the reason to cut all contact with them until they changed. It is still difficult.

Or more subtle. If my parents are solid working class people, and my fiance is a high society girl with old money. My parents may not resent the girl, but will often have big trouble relating to her social class of people. And they would never be able to keep up with her parents spending. That would cause trouble for them.

What Guys Said 6

• When her parents married, both families disowned them, won't even talk to them. My girlfriend saw her maternal grandmother twice, when she was born and at first birthday. She didn't remember either. Never met grandparents, aunts, uncle until she was 18-19, as we were going out. Her folks thought we were great, mine uncertain about her being Asian (me, white), but we didn't after much talk.

Ironically, we meet by accident 15+ years later. Had coffee, we had both married and divorced, agreed if we had it to do again, we would marry. At that point we each had SO, decided not to f*ck up those relationships.

I say go for it. I regret we didn't. And worse was finding she did as well.

• I would do my best to make them like each other, if it still didn't work out, I would go for my Girlfriend (to be my wife) we LOVE each other, and have been together for four years, if my parents can't respect that or see that we belong together I would be upset on my parents and disappointed :/

• I couldn't give a damn who thought what about her if we loved each other. F$#! the world, I have her already!

• Been there, done that and I'm very happy with it.

• It would depend on the reason, but in theory I think I could. It's very unlikely though.

• Yeah, who cares what anyone else thinks.

What Girls Said 1

• Well, if they don't care for him, I wouldn't like it but if I love him to bits, I'd just think: "deal with it" and go on with him. If they absolutely hate him, I would be a bit more...reluctant to marry him or whatever. Just talk to my family why they have so many issues with him, maybe organize a weekend out to let them get to know him and see where things go.