How much should you pay for a girl's wedding ring?

I don't make much.. just your regular joe, making twelve an hour.. So roughly $20,000 a year. I don't have a girl I'm currently interested in, but I live in my head a lot and was wondering how much would be appropriate?

I was thinking $3,000.. but I feel like that's too low. Am I cheapskate? :/ Wouldn't want to disappoint the woman of your dreams, right? So how much is enough? How much is good? And do you tell them the price if they ask?

Okay so 3,000 is cheap. >.> 5k at least is the expected value, from what I'm hearing.. one year of saving up seems like a long time.. I PE, how am I suppose to be that patient? when I finally decide I want to marry a girl, I got to save up forever until I can. Guess I'll start saving as soon as I start dating a girl XD
What about telling her the price if she asks? Obviously curiosity would make you ask.. but girls, would you really want to know?

Most Helpful Girl

• ARE YOU INSANE?! My God, 3,000 dollars on a rock she puts around her finger just so the other men stay away? Spend less than 500 in my opinion. I much rather use the rest of the money for a down payment on a house then to live in apartment just because we need to pay off a ring. If a girl is asking for a more expensive ring and is asking the cost of it then you have a bumpy road ahead of you to high-maintenance land where you never have nest egg money because she spent it and you have loans on everything and anything. When you get married, just remember she's marrying you and not the jewlery/wallet.

What Girls Said 24

• If it was me, I would appreciate the gesture, the thought, the fact you got one, and most of all, your proposal (how you phrase it) more than anything!

I think as long as it's to her taste the price won't matter. Look at her current rings. Are they silver or gold? Are they clustered stones or single stones? What's her favorite color/jewel?

I don't think of rings and such as how much they cost. I know what I like, and yes I have expensive taste, but it's the style not the price. I've bought thinks that costs 50p and been very happy!

As for if she asks, just say "you might get told if you're good" and kiss her. It buys you some time. If she's insistant she'll keep asking. Maybe it's an insurance thing, but it's the look not the price.

Also... if someone spent $3,000 on a ring for me I would be taken aback/appalled that I'm worth that much. I'd also take a ring with you to get her ring size! She's a lucky girl :)

• never that much money! If my guy (nonexistent at this point, but in the future) bought me a ring for 3000 dollars, I'd make him take it back and get me a cheaper one!

• Well I think it depends on the women. If your marrying a down to earth girl like me a 3,000 dollar ring would be great but if your marrying a crazy stuck up girl then you should go up in price. and if the girl asks how much you paid for it, then she's an ass.

• $3,000?!? ...thats to much in my opinion eso if you make 20,000$.

I would say keep it under a 1000. I have a 10k gold ring from my uni that was 791.00 and that was more then enough. Don't listen to any "rules or BS. It's whatever you are comforable with and can afford while still living, a ring shouldn't make you lower your living standard.

Id rather have money left over for a sweet honeymoon or better yet a downpayment on a big house which is more practical than a ring.

• I would say get something simple, classic and within your means so that you don't have to start out your new life worrying about money. After being married about 20 years my dad got my mom's ring redone (added more little diamonds to it, maybe thickened the band a bit, etc). I think that that would be a really nice thing to do.

• Me personally ? I think its not about the price at all. I'm not big on flasy things at all . If you spent 3,000 on the ring then that's what you spent. I would be happy that he asked me to marry him. He could be dirt poor and got my ring from a 50 cent crain game for all I care.

• About $6,000-$15,000. - Would I expect such a thing. Hell no. No guy is going to do that unless he's filthy rich AND loves the girl. or he just throws away money like that.

I don't wear jewelry at all. So might as well make this one worth wearing. So, that would be my price range.

Most girl would want $100-$700.. Roughly.

I was watching this episode "Extreme Cheapskate". This man bought man spend no more than $10 on his wife for their 25th Anniversary. So, I'm guessing the ring is only 50 cent near the door establishment.

It really depends on what you're going for and the kind of girl you get with.

• honestly? it depends on how much he makes, in your case I would be happy with a two thousand dollar ring, but what I actually want would cost around 30-35k (I've searched it lol). but the ring isn't that big of a deal, because you're the one we're marrying not the diamond.

• It's just.. it's the only time you really quantify how much you love someone.. It's not like sex, you can't just do it better next time. haha

• I would rather have someone who shows me every day how much he loves me vs. a guy who buys me the big diamond and thinks that he's bought me the 100k ring and I should know from that that he loves me. if you go in there with 2k and pick out a ring you love and think is the one for me it would mean a lot and I would cherish it, believe me and I'm super materialistic. I love my versace and prada hahah

• You buy her what you can afford...and don't be stupid about it either. I knew one guy who bought his girl an $8000 engagement ring and he worked at a restaurant. So he was having to pay his mortgage on the new house they bought AND pay off the ring. Not smart. And then she broke up with him 6 months later

• I don't want an expensive ring, necessarily. I want something unique, even if it isn't a lot of money, preferrably with my mans birth stone in it. Tell her the price? I wouldn't. Asking someone to marry shouldn't be put off based on money. When the time is right, get engaged. Make a budget for a wedding, go from there..

• You should be able to not spend a fortune and not have to worry about the girl thinking less of the ring unless she's shallow and inconsiderate.

• He paid 2000 for mine and he's a college student(Not including band)Pay what you are comfortable with. He said I deserved a higher quality diamond. Doesn't mean my ring is huge, just clear as hell. Pay for quality if anything.

• for me $0.00. I don't want one. I already tell my guy never get me one. Don't need marriage and I'm afraid of commitment. Not that I don't love the guy but I would say no mainly because of my commitment issues. Id rather him not waste money

• As long as it's pretty (doesn't have to be diamonds can be a gem/stone) and doesn't rust,corrode and turn my finger green or brown I don't care.

• 3 month rule

• It obviously depends on the girl and whether or not she thinks it's important for it to be expensive.

I personally would be uncomfortable with a ring that expensive... Besides the fact that it's not important to me, what if something happened to it? I just think it's a silly tradition. I'd be okay with it if he was casually saving up money for it for a while, but if he doesn't even make enough money to set some aside, no way, just get a fake $50 thing, haha.

• i honestly don't care I come from a poor family I would take any ring =]

• I don't care about the price as long as it's real. It can be simple and small. I don't care. It's the thought that matters way more.

• I am a really high maintenance girl. I spend at least $5000 on makeup and hair a year...at least. Also I take about 2hrs to get ready every day. But when it comes to a wedding ring? Puleazzz... If you pay more than $100 for me...for that...then it's money wasted. I actually just want a plain silver band.

• The ring I'd like is 9,000 because it's Tiffany's so whoever I decide to marry has to be rich $$$ haha

• you better be damn hot! otherwise...don't think you're getting your $9k ring...sorry! And BTW Tiffany's rings start at ~ $2.5k, just so you know...

• Thanks for your concern love but I don't want the 2.5 K ring I want my 9,000 dollar ring.

• If you are REALLY worried about "saving up forever" then the only solution would be to make more money! lol

But seriously speaking, I actually think 3K is a reasonable amount to spend on a ring. Hopefully the girl you marry isn't materialistic and puts your love above how much you can spend on a ring.

When you find someone you are going to marry, I would think that you would be comfortable enough with her to share anything with, if she asks how much, just tell her!There's nothing to hide, afterall it should be the thought that counts :)

This is the perspective I have on my relationship. I love my boyfriend with all my heart and the day he decides he wants to marry me will be worth more than something materialistic (like a ring). Although I want a ring to make things official, I don't care how much it costs.

• I wouldn't want him to spend that much.

$700 the MOST.

• $3K for a ring? What the heck is it made out of, Armstrong's space shuttle? I had a great band for $300 a piece. DONE. Unless you're talking about the engagement ring, in which case I know a guy who earned $50K a year and had to take out a 10-year payment plan for the rock he bought his wife. It was insane and she expected matching earrings, etc. for anniversaries...

• Idc if it's a small ring as long as he's not trying to find the cheapest. I don't want to most expensive, I just want the nice thought.

What Guys Said 11

• Add up three months of your annual salary, that should give you an idea on how much you should spend. Don't listen to what others say... Later in life when you better yourself, and your making a little more, and you still feel she deserves better, upgrade her rings and take her on a second honeymoon... At that point, who's better than you bro... All her friends will go home and tell their husbands why can't they be more like you... Hey you might not have football buddies anymore, but you're still getting some at home!

• Not that I'm likely to marry but I think wedding rings, wedding dresses and weddig ceremonies are a huge waste of money. I'd say a €500 ring, a €1500party, €1000 dress and €5000 honeymoon (something I would actually enjoy). But then, no wedding for me so just downpayment on a great house.

• 3months salary is the common expectation.

• Isn't the rule 3 months salary? ($20,000/12)*3 = $5,000.

• I didn't know the rule eek! Why does everyone word it as 3 months salary? why not just say 25% xD

• Haha! Since a year has 12 months, I've never really looked at it as something you would divide into quarters! >.< Then, yes! 25%!

• it boggles my mind.

this 3 months rule is disgusting. I think if you pay more than a grand with your salary you're stupid. rather spend couple hundred dollars more on better honeymoon or something.

• Haha. Yeah, I don't understand why the value of the ring is more important than what it looks like.. and much like you, would think she'd be happier if I spent that money towards spending time together.. but I don't profess to understand women, nor would I attempt to argue it to her as if I didn't want to spend the money on her.

• wedding or engagement?

$3k is very reasonable. You can get a very nice ring for that much. Not monstrous, but -nice-.

That's assuming you are still making the same then. Given you have nobody in mind.

• I think the expected cost of a wedding ring is around 16% salary, and about 5% for the wedding ring. If you can get both for about 20% (wedding and engagement) nobody will frown at you.

At 40K you're looking at about 8K for the both of them. At 20K, about 4. At minimum wage (16.6 in Cali) around around 3 plus a few hundred.

• Unless you've got a six figure salary, you shouldn't pay more than $500 on a wedding ring.

Jesus! - give her an onion ring lol... when's the last time a chick gave a guy a $5,000 ring?... smh

• I mean that's a little more then a tenth of your annual income. I don't think you spend that much but, Hell if your going to for a ring you might aswell get it custom made.

• 3 month rule braj

• 3 months of saving or 3 months of pay? Because those are two vastly different numbers. Hard to live on $20,000.. so to accumulate 3 months of pay in savings is at least a year.

• 2k for a 2 ct. M..probably more thank 2k now.

agree 3 month rule

• I'm talking about IP3 here, if we go with perfect clarity, it'd probably be 13-14k

• Man you shouldn't worry about marriage your young and have a job that makes 12 an hr. man my advice to you stay single and save your money. And if you do marry don't pay 3000 for a ring pay 200 because you don't want her getting robbed. especially in new york with these tough economic times. it shouldn't matter how much the ring cost if she loves you she will accept the ring no matter if it's an onion ring. And if a woman tells you your cheap tell her to go get a job.