How do I dress for a "black tie invited" wedding reception?

I've been invited to a wedding of a high school friend. We graduated 12 years ago, but have kept in contact on FB, though rarely actually see each other.

I really would like to go but am confused as to attire. The invite says "black tie invited" is that like formal/prom wear or would a nice blouse and skirt do?

I never wear dresses, so I am going to have to borrow or buy something...

Most Helpful Girl

• It's sort of the same as black-tie optional.

The wedding party is going to be formal, as are most the the guests. But it's not strictly necessary.

Basically it's saying please dress up - but we won't force you to if you desperately don't want to.

So just make as much of an effort as you're comfortable doing. So yeah a nice skirt and blouse would be fine.

What Guys Said 2

• Black tie invited means men are asked to wear a tuxedo, but a high-formality suit is acceptable. It means you can get in without a tuxedo, but a tuxedo is more appropriate.

A nice blouse and skirt would be inappropriate. A short dress is frankly borderline but I suspect most young people won't know how to follow the instructions properly. This would actually be a good opportunity to wear a long dress if you like them.

• Black tie is strictly formal attire. link

• Not as strict as white tie, but more formal than skirt/blouse combo.

What Girls Said 4

• You definitely have to dress formal. Usually black tie means floor length gowns. But it really depends on the person. You know the bride better than we do, so you should think about what she would want you to wear. Everyone's definition of black tie is different. But overall it's definitely more formal.

I think a blouse and a skirt could work, but definitely pair it with a nice jacket though. Something more elegant with a little sparkle. Wear some of your nicer pieces of jewellery too.

• a long gown, high heels and nice jewellry. you could also wear a jumpsuit or dress pants and a flashy shirt with heels and jewellry if you hate dresses

• Black tie = formal

• Q.

I just received an invitation to a relative's wedding. The bottom of the invitation says "Black Tie Invited" -- what exactly does that mean?

A.

It means the same thing as "Black Tie Optional." Basically, this is going to be a formal wedding -- the men in the wedding party are going to be decked out in tuxes, and men in the couple's immediate families may be, too. The "invited" or "optional" means that male guests are invited to wear tuxes and women may wear evening gowns or cocktail dresses -- what you would wear at a black-tie affair -- but you don't have to. It's fine for men to wear nice dark suits and for women to wear dresses that aren't necessarily Oscar-night material. If the invite just says "Black Tie," then guests are expected to attend in full formal attire.