Why do people stay engaged for so long?

i see it alot, people being fiancees for over a year or more. why not just get married right off the spot? seems very stupid to me, in my mind its like theyre maybe waiting for something better, or theyre not really happy with other person, because why wait to marry someone if "you truly love them?"

Most Helpful Girl

• people will at finances. but you can always jut go to city hall. I think planning elaborate weddings is just a way of stalling and caring about a prize not a actual person.

even people not planning huge weddings, or buying houses, will wait. because they don't really want to mary but figure it won't get any better so they might as well marry so and so so at least they won't be alone. but they are not sure so hey wait.

also sometimes a propsal is too soon. the engagement period is really a courting period.

ut yeah if youve known someone fir several years and you already WANT to marry. just marry. you can do w/e you need to do ANY time in the marriage. all the steps are retarded imo.

its also used as a suck up period. give me stuff do stuff for me. or I won't marry you. its bullsh*t imo.

im not even getting married. if I love someone and we want to be together, that's what well do.people just like to find bs ways of torturing each other. the idea it somehow roves love. it just proves mntal instability and a procivity towards sado- masochism. IMO.

What Girls Said 3

• It takes time to plan the wedding, maybe they cannot afford it right away, personal situations (like a family member being sick). There is no rush, I think, it is just a promise to be married.

• mainly because of their financial situation,and wedding plans,but some people do stall because they're afraid of marriage.

• Maybe because they want a big wedding, but they don't have the money for it yet.

What Guys Said 1

• some people want to buy a house first. others want a very expensive wedding so it takes "a year" to save up for it.