What do you think of long engagements?

I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times but I'm wonder what people think of long engagements? I guess ones that last a few years. Personally I don't think it would bother me but I've heard some people say it takes away the "magic." Any other thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes there are practical reasons to not get married yet (money, a home, etc), but the people want to move to the next level of committment. I think they're fine.

What Girls Said 9

• Most girls expect an engagement to only last a year or two. We've dreamt of our wedding since we were little so most of us don't want to the engagement to last a really long time. Some may want it that way. Sometimes it has to be that way due to financial reasons or other things going on in your lives. But where I'm from an engagement usually only lasts a year or two. Some last only a few months.

• I think long engagements are a good idea

Going from a relationship to marriage is a big transition and CAN change the relationship, for better or for worse. I think it's a good idea to get to know the person as a friend, as a boyfriend/girlfriend, as a fiance/fiancee and then as a husband/wife.

Plus, it can take a while to plan a wedding. Cramming it is no fun, unless you're Will and Kate and have a whole group of people planning it for you.

• I'm pro them. What's the rush?

• I'm indiferent

• Nothing wrong with long engagements.. I'd prefer to be engaged 1-2 years before I got married.

• Long enough to do all the wedding preparations (min. 6 months - 12 months) but just don't live together under any circumstance.

• Any engagement would be nice for me no ones loved me enough to propose yet

• Hmm... I don't know yet.

• I think they're pointless.

What Guys Said 2

• How long are we talking here? Two or more years? I don't like them. There are some circumstances where I can see why it might happen, i.e. military deployment, economic factors, school, etc. But if it's a concious choice to wait longer than two years, it just seems to me that the attitude is "m'eh, whenever we get around to it".

• They suck I was married once dated 8 years engaged 2 years married one year divorced now 7 years

next thine I plane to date a year to a year and a hafe get engaged for 2 to 3 months then marrie