Girls, which of these gemstones/minerals do you like the best for an engagement/wedding ring?

I was discussing wedding/engagement rings with a friend, and I realized that I don't really care if I get a diamond ring before I get married. I actually like opal, mother of pearl, and marcasite a little more than diamonds. They look more interesting to me and are more affordable from what I've seen. As long as I like whatever ring I get, I don't care how much it costs.

• Diamonds/Cubic Zirconia
  • Opal
  • Mother of Pearl
  • Marcasite (pyrite)
  • Other (please list)
Apparently this was a dumb question to ask... everyone wants diamonds. =/ I seem to be alone on wanting something out of the ordinary. lol

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I am not really interested in a wedding ring, but my sister has a garnet for her wedding ring and it is really beautiful. She is Capricorn, and that is her birthstone, so if I went that way I would like an emerald, since I am a Gemini, yep, an emerald with white gold. I am not a yellow gold girl.

• I agree with you for the white gold :) white gold and emerald would look very nice !

What Guys Said 5

• My experience is that most young women proclaim that they don't care and any ring would make them so happy. This lasts till about one month post engagement.

Married/engaged women compare their rings to other engaged/married women.

• now you should put up a poll about which color of diamond lol

• Ununoctium,Berkelium,Protactinium,Ununseptium,Kryptonite,Unobtanium and Rayquaza.

• I think guys need to know what type of ring does a girl like , so thanks for asking that question .

• Cubic zirconia all the way!

What Girls Said 23

• Probably diamond, though I also really like my birthstone. My mom passed down a ring with small diamonds in it to me and I've come to really appreciate diamonds lately because of it I think... I just like the little colors you see when the light hits them just right...

One of my old friend's aunt and uncle got their "wedding rings" tattooed onto their fingers (they couldn't afford rings) which I always thought was a super cute idea (although I guess you have to be realllly sure that they're the one in that case, lol..)

• I don't really care about diamonds, they're not the prettiest looking to me.

I really like labradorite (couldn't find the English word, sorry, but here's a link : link I think I would like something simple and elegant, but not too flashy, so that I can wear it everyday in every occasions :)

As you said, If I like the ring, if it suits my personality then I don't really care if it's not an expensive one.

• @your update : no, you're not alone there :) I'd like somthing other than diamond :P My mother had a single, small rubis and it was a really nice ring.

• I want some diamonds on it point blank :3

Once those have been worked in I think jade would be nice too.

Cool points for

painite

grandidierite

red beryl emerald

But all I really really want is something he picked out :)

like a heavy ring made from some sort of dark metal with diamonds studded in the band, that would be cool

• I would prefer a diamond, but I think the most important quality is that it is durable and suitable enough for every day wear. My grandma got some little diamonds added to the sides of her ring for her 50th wedding anniversary and she let me try it on--it's so thick and awkward, I would hate to wear that every day! It suits her but I couldn't even press my fingers together properly like I can with normal rings.

My mom's ring is a decent size but she lives overseas and is afraid that it will get stolen, so she just wears a silver band. What's the point of having a great engagement ring if it has to be locked in a safe! The most important is that it fits well (not too thick, no stones that stick out too much) and is timeless looking.

• Diamond

Cubic Zirconia is unacceptable as f***. That's almost a good way to get a big fat "No, I will not marry you because obviously you do not know me." Surely, no future husband of mine would get me a Cubic Zirconia.

Cubic Zirconia is also embarrassing and I think he should feel ashamed for stooping that low.

That said, I would be perfectly fine with getting just one ring, an engagement or wedding ring. I'd also be perfectly fine with him not giving it to me until the wedding.

I loveee Pearls and wouldn't mind getting a pearl necklace(pull your minds outta the gutter), a pearl bracelet and pearl earrings for my birthday or Christmas..

A for Diamonds

• Diamonds are nice when they are modestly elegant and aren't over the top. They're simple and classic, and definitely feel the most "engagement"-like.

That said, I absolutely love Amber; it is my favorite for jewelry. The others you listed-- Opal, Mother of Pearl, and Marcasite-- are all stunning, too.

For wedding rings, though, my preference is just a gold band... I don't like the fancy, elaborate ones.

• I actually would prefer a ruby. For one, it's my namesake. Two, red is my favorite color. Diamonds are okay but white is a little plain. My best friend knows that I want a ruby so hopefully my future man will ask her when he decides he wants to propose.

• there was a post on reddit about diamonds being over priced and over rated, and I agree. alexandrite or blue topaz imo.

• Well, diamonds are my birthstone, so...

• mother of pearl and opal are lovely. I like the color of my birthstone sapphire

• =) Sapphire is beautiful, too. My birthstone is peridot. Yuckkk. lol

• i don't know why I'm just not a fan of diamonds really. I find mother of pearl more beautiful than diamonds

• the best one is the one you want :) Cubic zarconia is the least money, but usually comes in a metal that will green.

• I like diamonds too, but here lately I really like Sapphire or emerald engagement rings. They are gorgeous.

• yeah diamonds are classy and classic. stick to that.

-love Sosa

• I like anything that sparkles. It doesn't even have to be a real diamond, that can be saved for the wedding.

• I went with emerald, I agree with something different is a good thing.

• ammm ring w multi stones

• You can get whatever you want. Other peoples opinions shouldn't matter. You can get what you like.

• Diamond!<3

• I prefer a sapphire or emerald.

• I think a fully diamond ring is classic, but I want my wedding ring to have diamonds and my birthstone, amethyst mixed together.

• I wouldn't mind a swarovski crystal ring. I don't like diamonds because of the politics and how much they cost. I also like the look of jade or emerald. Sapphires are nice too.

Whatever he gets, I just hope its not expensive. I prefer something that is simple and nice looking.

• Diamond and pearl

• definitely would want a diamond engagement ring.