If a girl wears a ring in her ring finger do you think she's engaged?

I was wearing a ring on my ring finger that I guess could look like an engagement ring and my guy friend asked me if I was engaged, I'm only 18 so I just laughed and said no, but he said he was seriously asking. Then I told my girl friend about it and she said it has happened to her too, she's also 18. So my questions:To girls, have you had this happen to you? And to guys, do you ask in a jokingly manner or seriously?

• I ask as a joke
  • I ask because I'm interested in her
  • I seriously ask just for curiosity
  • I had this happen to me
  • Never happened to me

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't ask at all, but I do notice rings on the left hand, and just assume "serious boyfriend" and move on. Symbols are symbolic because they mean things, if you're not taken use a different finger. It's like putting a stop sign where there isn't an intersection.

What Guys Said 6

• People are getting married pretty young nowadays. A ring on that finger is the universal sign that you are taken. If you want guys to approach you, probably keep that finger open.

• If I think she's attractive, I assume nothing and go for it. A lot of girls and guys wear rings on their ring finger, that doesn't always mean they are taken.

• yeah if I saw a ring there that looked like an engagement ring I would assume she was engaged even if she wasn't that old . 18 isn't an unheard of age to get engaged at

• If I see a ring on a woman's finger, I assume she's married.

If she's not married, but wears a ring on her finger, knowing I'm going to be around, I assume she's clearly not interested in me. So her marital status is irrelevant to me.

• I ask in a serious manner, if she is engaged or married I leave her alone and meet someone else. But wearing a ring in your ring finger does send the wrong message if you are trying to meet a man.

• I know 14 year olds who are pregnant and getting married, it's not that uncommon to get married at a young age now...question is, is it ethical?

What Girls Said 4

• I don't wear a ring on my ring finger cause I don't want people thinking I'm married or engaged. As simple as that. And yes, if a girl has a ring on that finger I would pretty much assume she's married or engaged.

• When I was 19 it happened to me. I was wearing a ring and this dude comes up to me and asked me, and just for the hell of it, I said I was LOL and he started interrogating me and why I did it and that I should not be married. My friend was laughing her ass off and this dude was trying to convince me that being married was a horrible thing lol

So I stopped wearing a ring there.. and If I do, I make sure it doesn't look like engaged material.

• i would just not wear it on that finger

• its your engagement ring finger...

I've never worn a ring on that finger or have a friend wear a ring on that finger unless it was an engagement ring, purity ring, promise ring, or wedding ring.

also...its not that ridiculous to be 18 and engaged...its not common but it happens.