What should I do about the place of our wedding?

Just over a year ago I proposed to my girlfriend, and we're getting married in a few months. We have everything we need but the place. She wants to have it at a church, to honor her grandmother. I'm perfectly fine with it, even though I'm atheist. My problem is, I have something else planned out.

I want to go to the rocky shores of lake superior, and get married on the beach. I didn't know that she wanted it to be at the church so bad.

You see, my grandparents gave me their house that they had up there and told me to start my family there. that's exactly what I want to do. The house is on lake superior, just a mile down from where I want to get married. I haven't told her this, I want to surprise her. Spend our first night as a married couple in our own house, instead of a hotel or an apartment. I know she'll love the house, she's been there twice before and couldn't stop talking about how beautiful it was.

She keeps trying to talk me into getting married at the church and all the pluses (Closer drive, no hotels, less gas). Should I tell her about the house or just give into the church?

Most Helpful Girl

• Have you told her that you want to get married a the lake? Maybe you could tell her that without telling her about the house because the surprise would be amazing.

If it doesn't end up happening, it will be just as amazing of a surprise if you wait until you get back from the honeymoon.

What Girls Said 5

• how about doing the holy matrimony in the church (as she wishes) then later have the wedding party at the rocky shores (as you wish). the house can be a nice surprise for her on her wedding day (since you are sure that she loves the house) :)

• Tell her about the house. You two are getting married and should be open with each other. If you want to get married on a beach voice your opinion and let her ponder over it.

• Obviously tell her, she might fall in love with the idea

• You should definitely speak up about your idea. Are they close enough where you could split the ceremony and the reception between both places?

• That's the thing, it's about 45 minute drive to the church and an hour and a half drive to the house. Only 45 minutes from church to house, but it's still a long way to drive for 300 guests

• I would say, talk to her about it. You've listened to how she feels, now tell her how you feel. My boyfriend and I were in almost the exact same situation and talking about it made me realize that our wedding day should be about us and what we want regardless of what other people would've wanted..

I can't guarantee that it'll turn out the way you want, but I think you would feel better about the final decision.

What Guys Said 0