I feel like my wedding is going to be like crap

I am getting married but worried. well I know I'm not going to get funding from my side of the family

i can guarantee that I will be putting out the money for half the wedding meanwhile the groom, my husband to be will be putting out more than half.

does anyone have any ideas on how I can save money on my wedding?

I already have a florist, dj, singer and photographers. (all family relatives trained to be)

I'm not sure if I'm just panicking right now ...I feel a lot of negativ feelings, maybe anxiety.

just need advice in general. thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• who is the star of the wedding? you and husband. not friends, not family. don't worry about trying to have a big expensive wedding to impress anyone. especially your non-paying family.

What Guys Said 6

• When I first got started in video production, I did a lot of wedding videos. Not always, but in many cases, the more the bride cared about her WEDDING, the less she seemed to care about her MARRIAGE. Several of the most lavish productions resulted in a couple that had split before they had even picked up their finalize copy of their video! (This is why wedding people insist on getting paid in advance!)

I really do get how important a wedding can be for a bride, but remember, it's really about the MARRIAGE, not the WEDDING.

• Don't get caught up in the weird ideas that people have about weddings now. In some cultures, it was traditionally a way for the family ( not the couple, rather their parents ) to show off.

The wedding itself is quite inexpensive. After the wedding is a party. The reception is just a party. Hopefully you will only have one wedding in your life, but you can throw as many parties as you can afford. The reception is not the wedding. You do not need to spend $200 per person on a party to make the party fun. I suspect you have been to parties in your life that were a lot of fun where the entire budget was a few hundred dollars.

Just have fun. If you end up rich when you're older, you can throw a fancier party then. The nicest reception I have ever been to was not a wedding, it was an old bosses 50th birthday. Beautiful estate home, black-tie, great catering, DJ dancing at Cetera. That wedding reception type party is not a once in a lifetime thing.

• I think you're suffering a bit of anxiety.

The reality of the situation is, you are putting out the money for half the wedding. Although your husband to be may be putting out more he loves you & I'm sure doesn't mind.

Nothing in life is a perfect 50/50

Where can you save at the reception? The place it's held? Champagne on the tables for everyone, a free bar for "X" amount of time & after that a cash bar?

I honestly think with all of the planning & wanting the perfect day for you & your guests you are over thinking the situation.

Now's the time to enjoy.

• There's nothing to be worried about.

You are going to have the happiest moment of your life. Money and other problems comes later. They are just temporary. They can be resolved. You just have to go there and have fun.

• Don't blow money, the ceremony doesn't mean anything. It's just symbolic.

• Justice of the Peace Wedding..cost us less than two hundred bucks.

What Girls Said 3

• This might not be what you want to hear but having just been a part of my friend's wedding and seeing the CRAZY amount of sh*t she did and paid for for her wedding, I honestly think you should worry less about making the wedding nice and just focus on the man you're marrying. I don't know how much she spent but the wedding was REALLY extravagant and she'd just graduated college a year ago so she probably spent a huge chunk of her salary for the entire year she's been working lol but anyhoo it's just ridiculous! When you look back on your wedding 20 years from now are you going to care that you had a sh*tload of flowers, or the best DJ you could find? ...No. It's illogical to go crazy getting things for your wedding when really you should be saving that money to start your future together. Just keep it simple!

• Take a deep breath & relax. Remember what you are doing, you are getting married, not putting on a show. Too many people forget this, and I think it ruins weddings. Your ceremony is about your commitment to each other & your love for each other. So concentrate on that, make that meaningful. Everything else is just fluff.

Now about the fluff. You can do a great, truly great wedding/reception on a budget if you do not try to "keep up with the Jones," so to speak. Prioritize, what do you really want? Keep it simple.

Are you getting married in the same place as the reception? If not, use the same flowers from the church & have someone take them from the church to the reception. Delegate that to some trusted person. It will save tons. Use simple, inexpensive flowers. My best friend, who's family is one of the wealthiest I've known, actually used (true, I swear) Queen Ann's lace from the side of the road, mixed with some garden flowers at her wedding and it was stunning. Yes! From the side of the road! Not to save $$$, but because of their beauty.

Think about your time of day to save $$$. If it isn't meal time...you do not have to serve a meal. Serve some aps & wine, or desserts & wine. You don't HAVE to hire fancy, go to a big box store & get some. Cut corners where you can, put the $ where you really need it...your future. A home. Children, etc.

Point is, do not worry about what others think, just be happy with what you do and what debt you will have after the wedding. And most important...the actual exchanging of your vows. Congratulations & happy life to you both.

• Maybe you could postpone it a few months so you have time to save more money?

• I'd be gutted if my bride-to-be wanted to postpone our wedding just so she could spend more money on it.