Do You Think A Marriage Can Last In Our Generation?

We have a lot of divorce, cheating, trust-issues, ect... in our world today and it seems that all the lasting marriages are from the generation before last. If people are still married they seem miserable. Do you think there is any chance of a lasting marriage in our generation?

• No.
  • Yes.
  • Possibly.
  • Not Likely.

Most Helpful Guy

• Ofcource there is. Its all up to the people in the marriage. If they have quality values and didn't rush in it, are stubborn and have enough relationship experiance to work through their issues. They definitely can make it.

What Guys Said 10

• Most certainly!

What inspires me is how I still come across old, happy couples. Just 4 days ago I saw an old couple snuggling at a park bench. They looked so proud and happy! It was beautiful... TwT

• Yes it can last. And it's not like those issues weren't around before, it's just that knowledge is far more widely available and information travels faster and easier so we learn of it more so.

Just like the old days, it can last, but people have to communicate and really put the effort in. And since less fear any "God" punishing them for divorcing, they break up these days. If there wasn't that fear before hand, there would have been just as many divorces. But I see the potential future where it's not fear that keeps people together, but real love and commitment and real understanding of good communication. It'll just take a long time before that message sinks.

• Why stay married if you're miserable? Marriage is a man made invention, a lot of people do it to soon or for the wrong reasons, not like it matters if it lasts, what matters is that the people are happy together.

I may be wrong, but I think the only reason it lasted before was because of laws and religion and stuff, not because society was any less f***ed up.

• Absolutely it can. I think we can do better if we put our spouse's interests ahead of our own and actually cherish them. And when the times get tough, sometimes we need to just hash it out.

• There's a chance for sure. In my country people take more time dating before getting married than in USA, so we have a lower divorce rate.

But anyway, it depends on the people, you just have to find the perfect person for you.

There never was a divorce in my family (although it was close to happen), so I truly believe it is possible.

• There are still relationships that last.

Keep believing.

• no. Our society is f***ed and it'll up to the kids this generation has to make it better

• its possible,but the success rate is dropping fast! better get married fast because in the next 50years marriage will be outlawed lol!

• sure it can... if you find the right person and don't rush into it...

• No I think people trying to change the definition of marriage is not helping either.

What Girls Said 7

• Divorce was taboo back in the day. It's not that people were happier together, and relationships were more successful. People generations ago just lived with each other in misery instead of separating.

My grandparents have been together for 60 years. They were dating for about a month before they decided to get married. Probably about a month into their marriage, they started hating each other, and have been making each other miserable ever since. Despite the fact they have 7 children together. My grandmother's greatest regret in life is marrying my grandfather. I asked my grandma WHY her and my grandpa are still together after all these years. She said it's because she made a commitment and she's going to follow through with it until the end of her life. Sure on paper it sounds great: married for 60 years, 7 children, blah blah blah.. but in reality, they quit loving each other long ago. I think this holds true for most other elderly couples who're are still together. Very few people fall in love and stay in love. It just doesn't work like that.

• Well my grandparents and uncle and aunt (who have married since before I was born) are married and happy. One of them did cheat but they forgave each other...not sure if anything happened after. However, I get the feeling open-relationships will be more common. Not a big fan of it but I think I'm just gonna have to accept it if it becomes the norm.

• Hmm, I think whereas marriage was a requirement, nowadays, people have more rights to a better education and enlightenment. Marriage isn't for everyone so I don't think certain people should. I think, however, to really make it last; there should be so many obstacles and hoops to get through to be married that it weeds out everyone who wanted to on a spur of the moment thought.

• There is a small minority of people who are still hard-working, loyal, faithful and respectful. They just haven't been lucky enough to find someone else with those same qualities.

• A marriage, as in one, yes. Possibly more. But I don't think as many can survive as they used to.

• Yes it can.. but it requires LOTS & LOTS of work.

• yes...i do believe marriages can last only if the 2 qare honest & love each other.I belive it & hope that mine will last too in the future