What do you eat to stay healthy or get healthier?

My husband and I eat pretty well, my roommate eats horrible food. We are healthier than him. My husband stopped eating genetically modified food based on my recommendation from biology classes and he lost his allergies. My former dad in law lost a kidney to his attempt at the atkins diet, and my father eats always medium portions and has never in his life been overweight no matter what he eats. So what, how often, and how do you eat and why exactly if you know, when you want to be healthy?

Most Helpful Guy

• I take a few supplement like flax seed, but I don't overdose on things like creatine or other protein supplements, which aren't necessary if your diet is reasonable.

Otherwise, I stick to a diet low in red meat, high in fruits and vegetables and basic grain. Rarely do I eat anything high in cream or sugar, like ice cream, and then only in small quantities. I don't eat heavily processed food, and I exercise a lot, so, like your father, I never have had a weight problem.

I've never had to count calories. That's only necessary if your diet gets out of control.

What Guys Said 1

• all my foods except chocolate are healthy: beans, rice, greek yogurt, 2-3 fruits per day, nuts, milk, bread, penut butter, cheese, protein drink, and other vegetables. I don't eat all of them in one day but its a mixture of a few of those to equal 2000-3000 cal and 90-120g of protein each day

What Girls Said 2

• I try to eat lots of vegetables, fresh or frozen, and fruit too. I also like a lot of fish and sometimes poultry, but I have really cut down on my red meat. I miss steak, but red meat is not that good for you. I eat healthy all the time, as a permanent lifestyle. After a while of eating healthy, my body no longer craves unhealthy food. I actually sometimes find myself craving fruit or a really healthy food instead of cake or chocolate.

• I follow a high carb low fat raw vegan diet. Organic and local whenever I can, I also grow my own food in my garden, health is a huge part of my life!