Do you believe in marriage?

Do you ever want to get married?

Or would you rather have a spiritual/commitment ceremony?

Or nothing?

Do you wish to live with your significant other if you don't get married?

Why or why not?

Btw this is assuming you got a prenup and all your assets would be protected. We're talking about the actual institution/concept of being a "husband/wife" vs. "girlfriend/boyfriend."

Most Helpful Girl

• I would choose to get married over living with my significant other. While both provide support and stability, I feel that marriage bonds you more. Some might find this opinion stupid, but I do not. Marriage is a strong commitment, and those that say there is no difference do not make sense to me. If just living with your partner was enough, then why do the LBGT community fight for their marriage rights so much if it wasn't something worth fighting for? I personally want to get married ( when the time is right), and have a small wedding. I'd want my family and friends their along with his, and I'd want to have a little appartment with him after. I want love, passion, security, and peace with my future husband. I have seen a lot of my family members persevere in the marriages, and it makes me smile how at peace they are. I also don't want the situation where "why buy the cow when you get the milk for free" to happen to me. Why marry if you already have everything right there at your dispense? Though, it is most likely that cohabitation results in no marriage or breaking up, I will say that I know of a person who cohabitated with her boyfriend and they eventually got married.

I guess it depends what is right for you?

• I agree. If I was super in-love and was 99% sure I wanted to be with the guy forever, it would make me happy if he wanted to marry me (supposing that marriage had financial benefits for us/no real disadvantages).

What Guys Said 16

• I believe in marriage, and am open to getting married, and I'd be open to either having a small ceremony or a large affair (I am a Christian).

I'd be cool moving in with her beforehand, but I have to know that our relationship is going the marriage direction.

I truly believe that the stability of a two-spouse household to raise kids in (if I have kids), is absolutely pivotal to the success of any society. That is how nature intended the raising of a child to be, and we all know not to fight human nature!

----

However, in this climate with marriage, I will need to prenup, and I will be very VERY non-budging about it.

Glad you put that assumption in the questions. :)

• Mhm, I don't know why everyone is so ruffled up about pre-nups. I think if you truly love someone, you want to take that precaution of protecting their assets anyway, so you don't take away their money out of anger.

• i do believe in the value of marriage, and I wouldn't mind being married someday. I do not however believe in the idea behind institutional marriage today. It's more about the legal documents than the marriage itself, and from what I've seen, it can really act as an anchor if the marriage goes south. Marriage today is treated like a joke though

• Yes, my wife convinces me of it daily.

• Nope, because most marriages tend to fail nowadays. And I don't think people are willing to put the effort that a commitment like that requires and I believe a lot of people don't grasp the enormity of it all and take it for granted.

• 1. Yes, it doesn't hold any spiritual/religious signifance to me. I look at it as an affirmation of what I should already know(that I want to spend the rest of my life with that person) and it's a way to celebrate that

• Are you subtly asking us about gay marriage, or am I over-thinking this?

• Haha you're over thinking.

• Yes! Marriage, the bond between a man and a woman, is very sacred. I say no to divorce (in most cases)! As I always say, when in doubt, communication is key! So if there are any problems, it is best to talk it out.

• Marriage does not matter. That is a contract. The relationship matters. Living with some one is almost essential. Pre ups are just another contract.. Wish I had. Assets to care about.nn

• Not sure if I do, but I do want someone long term.

I believe in the promise and celebration part, but not the legal contract or superficial costs.

• Yeah, I'm cool with it.

• I want to get married

• The only positive thing I see out of marriage is the legality of it all. I personally don't want to get married, but I would love to find a girl that I can spend the rest of my life with. I don't need some ceremony or some sort of tradition (marriage) to prove that I love someone and that they love me. If someone gets married because they think it proves their love, then, to me, they are insecure. If a person has their own personal reasons for wanting to get married, whether it be religious, bucket list, legal reasons or what have you, then by all means get married, but I personally don't hold marriage as something of huge importance, especially since I'm not religious. My mother on the other hand views it as a huge importance since she's very religious.

• I believe in marriage for a man and a women.

• Hmm... When you say "women" do you mean you believe in bigamy? If not, what you really mean is woman*

• I'm happily married and am a believer in the value of marriage. Of course it's possible to have all the benefits of a relationship without it, but the odds of long-term success are lower without the commitment marriage represents, and the challenge that divorce poses discourages jumping ship without serious consideration.

Society benefits from marriage, too. Broken families are a big problem in the world with serious consequences that are often not associated with their real cause. Kids without two parents are less likely to be be well adjusted, happy contributors to society than those from stable two-parent homes. Marriage contributes significantly in that regard.

It's not perfect, but marriage generally works far better than the alternative.

• I don't believe in marriage. I would live with my SO especially to raise kids, and I could commit to them for life. But the idea of getting the government involved, or introducing legally enforced penalties in case we fall out of love?

That is a level of stupidity I no longer feel capable of.

• Some people believe in the idea of love that goes into marriage. Others simply marry for financial reasons. It's all depending on the person

What Girls Said 9

• I believe in it. My parents have an amazing marriage. Both came from united homes and their parents have amazing marriages. My boyfriend comes from the same situation.

I plan on having a simple ceremony.

Studies show that couples who don't live together before marriage report happier marriages and fewer divorces so no, I will not live with a man before marriage.

My boyfriend and I also do not believe in prenups. We have discussed this and as we will both be contributing equally to the marriage's financial assets and neither of us believe in divorce and since we both come from stable homes with good values and similar mindsets, we don't see the point of it. In his words, "Prenups are like saying the marriage is going to fail right at the beginning. And if you think it even has a chance of failure, why get married in the first place?" His words, not mine.

• I want to get married, and I take the marriage thing very seriously. Divorce isn't gonna be an option for me unless he's abusive or he's cheating (and if he does cheat, I would try to work it out before I'd jump to divorce. That's how seriously I take it). Whenever a guy proposes to me, he better be prepared to stay with me forever.

• i think people who "dont believe" in marriage are just discouraged.

so yes I want to get married.

i would probably go to the courthouse and get married. then have a huge recption for every one I know. jay gatsby style. at my house afterward lol then get on a plane immediately after to go to my honeymoon.

• Haha nice. Yeah I'm kind of like that. I think my anti-marriage feelings are simply because I haven't found marriage material yet, and because girls these days are often looked down on if they want marriage (e.g. people assuming they want $1000 Vera Wang gowns, etc.). I don't want a huge ceremony, though. It would be elopement for the sake of the sentiment.

• I won't say I don't believe in it but more I don't need it or want it. I'm in a relationship for 11 years and we did get engaged 4 years ago but when it came down to planning it, we realized it really wasn't something we wanted or were interested in. I have friends and family that are married or planning on getting married shortly and I couldn't be happier for them. Marriage just means very little to me personally. I don't see it as the only way to show commitment nor do I need it as some form of security. I know I'm with the guy I want to spend the rest of my life with and vice versa. Marriage is not something that is anywhere on our list of things we'd like to do.

• Yes, I believe in marriage. Marriage is part of life and without it, I would feel empty as I have not fulfilled a task. Being married is being happy and living with someone you love a d share your life with, as we as having kids and growing under same roof. Cohabitation is a while different story and it's not the same as marriage.

Do you ever want to get married? Eventually.

I would prefer to have a big ceremony. I'm getting married once, or so I hope, and I consider the day of the wedding to be the biggest day so obviously I'd like to have a big ass ceremony. My culture celebrates like 3 big ceremonies, not including the other 1,000 mini ceremonies.

Do you wish to live with your significant other if you don't get married? I won't mind living with my SO, but I rather not cohabitate.

• YES, I DEFINITELY do at some point in my life. I also want to have a spiritual ceremony. But more importantly, I need to know the person for a loong time (I'm talking about 2-3 years) in order to think about making that commitment. I don't want to divorce (obviously no one wants to) so I feel like getting to know the person better and for a longer time might be a better choice (at least for me). Although, I would live with the guy for a certain amount of time and hopefully be engaged...like if I'm going to live with a guy, that means we will both be on the same page about the next step-marriage. Prior to even thinking about living together, I would discuss this with him (of course not within the first year of dating) and see how he feels about it. It's definitely important for me that a guy wants a long term commitment like marriage and not just live together forever-I'm not okay with that.

• It won't kill me if I never get married, but I would like to someday. I'd be okay with just living with him forever and being committed without marriage, but honestly, I love the idea of being owned by him, taking his name. It's a sexy part of couplehood, to me.

• i want to get married.

• I really just want to live with my partner and not get married. Marriage as an institution has a sh*tty history, and that doesn't mean it's "bad" today, but it still just puts me off personally.