Should gay marriage be legalized?

I am against gay marriage. I believe legal marriage should strictly be between a man and woman. Joseph Smith clearly states that a man can have more than one wife but a wife cannot have more than one husband. God states in his word that sodomy is forbidden and that marriage is the union of a man and a woman "the two become one flesh". God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve and judges those who go against His law.

What's your stance?

Most Helpful Guy

• Gays shouldn't marry. The aids epidemic is bad enough already

• Read a book perhaps? You obviously have missed DECADES of medical and social research.

What Girls Said 3

• of course it should. Love is love. who cares about the gender

• Th government has no business telling people who is to marry. If the church doesn't want to do that, that's their busniess. But the government is required to give EVERY citizen the same rights.

• I don't care what gays do and I'm the furthest thing from a hardcore liberal.

What Guys Said 11

• The funny thing about this question is that one of the two answer will always receive grief. People have very good reasons to believe their personal opinions on this, yet if anyone were to answer "no" those who oppose act as if that person is completely ignorant and uneducated.

It's really hypocritical actually. That supporters of gay marriage expect respect for their beliefs, but often give none to those who disagree. Reality is, there's going to be people who say yes, and there's going to be people who say no to this. Either opinion doesn't make that person more educated or open minded than the other. I think people really need to start realizing that.

So for me? I don't think it should be legalized. Does that mean I hate gay people? No. Does it mean I think I'm better than them or above them? No. Does it mean I'm trying to discriminate and take away love from the world? Not at all. I have my beliefs and my reasons for those beliefs and there is nothing wrong with that or with those who oppose.

• In a democracy it you can have any belief you wan to. But in a democracy also every citizen should have the same right. It's your right to say you#re against gay people being married, but you have no right taking that right of marriage away from anyone. Gay people aren't taking away your right to marry anyone either. It's very simple...equal rights. Anything but that is simply not a democracy.

• The thing is, the question was not what your personal opinion on gay marriage is, but whether it should be legal or not. And your personal opinion on gay marriage has got absolutely nothing to do with what the law should be.

You're against gay people marrying? You're 100% entitled to that opinion. Well, but guess what...I am against people who are against gay people marrying. Does that mean it would be right to make people like you illegal?

• See, both of you are being dumbasses. Once again, and just like I said, no one is actually entitled to their own opinion on this because people like you come and argue against it. It's really quite funny actually.

• Other things forbidden according to the bible: divorce, eating shellfish, round haircuts, tattoos, polyester, wearing gold, being a rape victim (if you're female), disobedience if you are a slave (doesn't forbid slaves...), eating fat.. Okay I'm going to stop there. There's a little food for thought for christians who take the bible literally and don't realize that it's books were written in a completely different time and culture.

I'm not a Christian myself and I actually don't care anymore if it's legalized or not as long as civil union is legal and it has the same rights and obligations. Religion and government should be completely separate anyway.

• My stance is that not everyone believes in your god, so whatever you think your god says, that is utterly irrelevant to the law of the land.

If two gay people want to marry, I say let them.

• Isn't Christianity supposed to preach acceptance?

• I don't know what christians do but mormons do not accept ideas contrary to our beliefs.

• Forbidden by who? God? Well, if he hates homosexuality so much, then surely he has the power to remove all trace of it from the world?

• Homosexuality is one of the many problems brought about by man in our fallen state. God did not create evil. He created good. Evil is the absence of good.

• This is out of the question. Either every citizen must have the same rights, or it is NOT a democracy. You're creating second class citizens by taking away rights from certain groups of citizens, while letting other groups of citizens have them. It's none of your or anyone elsse's busniess who people want to marry, as long as both parties are consenting adults.

• Every does have the same right: the right to marry a person of the opposite gender

• Jeseph Smith also picked his wife's nose in search of gold for years, and then claimed an angel finally brought him some covered with instructions insteas of pneumies.

• Please do not post your heretical nonsense on this thread.

• If you'll research joe smith with an open mind, you'll find that during his lifetime he was known for diggin up half his county in search of gold, which he never found. And then one day he came home and an angel named Maroni had magically delivered to him what he had wanted for so long, along with the framework for a new religion. Nobody ever saw the gold tablets, but joe didn't need gold any longer. He had discovered the offering plate.

• Isn't our government in enough of our business already? Isn’t our government big enough? Why do we want more government regulations and more government workers to manage, litigate and enforce who can get married to whom? How much are these silly laws costing "US"? Shouldn’t we leave marriage to the people that want to get married and the God they believe in and not anyone else? Let the government handle cataloging Civil Unions and the couple’s church handle the spiritual side of the marriage. Not everyone gets married in a church or by a minister/priest, some churches consider this weddings Civil Unions not marriages.

What is your problem with gays getting married? Are you afraid their marriages will last longer than a conventional marriage or that they will over populate the world? Just because your Bible may say it is a sin, doesn’t make it a sin for everyone. Ask yourself, what men wrote your Bible, and is everything in your Bible that men wrote the word of God. The Bible was written from memory of stories told from one generation to the next for hundreds of years. Many things were left out, many things were changed, and many things were added.

If this is one of your big worries, you have an easy life. Please focus on making your life better, not making other people’s lives miserable.

• I think marriage should be re-privatized. Government shouldn't have anything to do with it. Government shouldn't approve or disapprove anyone's consensual relationships.

• I don't think the government has any place in "marriages". I think the state should see everything as a civil union the way they see marriages now. All the holy matrimony crap can be left to the religions themselves and they can condone marriages that align with their philosophical belief structure. You know, the entire deal of separation of church and state. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof... If their are churches that condone gay marriage, as in it aligns with their beliefs that's fine. The law just needs to separate itself from the religious connotations associated with unions.

• I find it sad that people are obsessed with others lives. I also find it more sad that accounts need to be made to ask this same question for the billionth time.

• It's same sex marriage. The government's not going to care what your sexual orientation is when you go to get a marriage license.