Why is this making me sad?

One of my really close friends just got engaged. As I am very happy for her, it makes me sad about my own life. I am a few years older than her and do not feel my boyfriend is going to propose and time soon. I think maybe I am with the wrong person. I also lost my father about 6 months ago and going to weddings and hearing people get engaged just reminds me that if it does happen to me I will not have my father around. Its just been getting to me. I don't want to be the pity party. Has anyone felt like this?

Most Helpful Guy

• We've all felt like this! The decision you have to make now is whether you are going to use these feelings to make improvements where your life is lacking, or continue to wallow in your misery and let it turn into jealousy. The latter wouldn't be my choice.

Sorry about the loss of your father. Know that he is still with you in spirit even if he's not here physically. Make him proud.

What Guys Said 2

• It's making you sad because you want to be engaged yourself.

Simply wait.

Enjoy your current unmarried life and make the most out of it.

• Don't most girls feel this way when their friends get engaged?

What Girls Said 2

• Yes when my friend recently got married I felt the same way.

• Seems like now that you're closest friend is engaged, you want to be engaged yourself, and also the weight of knowing your father won't be there to witness you getting married one day is bringing you down even more. I'm sorry for your loss :( and as far as the engagements, I understand. I have a few friends engaged right now and one already married. Seeing people I knew and went to school with so short ago having all these things makes me want them too, especially since at the time I was single and felt really bad.

Just keep your head up and be happy for what you have. And try to be optimistic. Who knows? Maybe your boyfriend will soon! Don't have doubts just because he hasn't proposed to you yet. It may be coming :)