How do I cope with a husband with mental health issue?

Can anyone out there please help me, my husband has just been to the doctor who said he had split personality disorder, I have noticed over the last year my husband has changed. I know it has to do with his bad upbringing with abuse and molestation etc been with the man for more than 20 years, it feels like I'm living with a stranger at the moment, he is not himself he is like taking himself back to a 8 year old child.

I need all the help I can get to help him, how do I treat someone with a mental illness? Please if anyone knows anyone with the same thing or so going through the same thing hem selfs please help.

Iam desperately wanting to do the right thing to help him.

He is now referred to a psychologist as well.


Most Helpful Girl

  • So sorry to hear you and your husband are going through this. Mental illness runs in my family and it's very hard on everyone. However, I don't think I've met anyone with split personality disorder so I cannot speak to that.

    When you say "how to treat" do you mean "how to assist?" The doctors do the actual treating with medication and psychotherapy. After he starts seeing the psychologist, you might try accompanying your husband to some of his therapy sessions to talk further with the psychologist about how you can best support him going forward. That can involve specific guidelines on how to communicate effectively with him, making sure he gets the right dosage of medication, helping with whatever triggers he might have, etc. I would also try to find a support group, preferably for family members of someone with split personality disorder. I would look online or ask one of his doctors for a reference.

    Just remember, you have to take care of yourself in order to care for someone else. Many caretakers forget this but it's important to remember.

    • Yes how to help him, assist him talk to him ect. Xx


Have an opinion?


Send It!

What Guys Said 3

  • hi my father had the same thing he was also abuse and molestation as a child it can be very hard to handle at times your best bet is to stick with the psychologist and maybe a little time in some sort of a rehab there will be some very frustrating times ahead for and your husband I wish you all the best of luck

    • Thank you. You gave me hope when you said your father " had" it, does that mean that the treatment worked for him? How long did it take for the psychologist to start to improve your father if you don't mind me asking?

    • ya it did work but it takes time its not going 2 happen over night but there is hope

  • Visit your psychologist, therapist, or your doctor.

  • "how do I treat someone with a mental illness?"

    Unless you're a trained professional, you DON'T.

    This is not a playground for amateurs, no matter how well intentioned.

    • Treat as in talk to him, interact properly with him, not treat him as in be his doctor, but his wife!

What Girls Said 1

  • Get a professional help for him and yourself. Look for a support group in your neighborhood, make contacts with women in same situation and just try to be as natural with him as you can. Be there for him and listen what professionals say about it. Talking to his doctor how you should proceed would be the first step I guess.