Is there another or better word for "Fiance"?

I find myself talking about my Fiance a lot, obviously because he's a big part of my life, but I'm not a fan of the word as weird as that might sound. I don't want to just call him my boyfriend as I am happy to be engaged and when I'm talking to people who don't know him I can't just use his name and hope people know who I'm talking about. So are there any other words for fiance?

I just don't like always having to say, "My fiance", "Me and my fiance", "My fiance and I".

I guess I just think it sounds weird and its kind of pretentious to me when its repeated. I'll be more than happy to call him my husband when we get married. Its not like this is recent either I've never really liked the word. We have been engaged for about eight months now and all this time I still don't care for it much so I was just wondering if there are any other words people use. Thank you all for answering.

Most Helpful Guy

• Fiancé is the most appropriate word you could use.

I understand where you're coming from, you don't want to be seen as one of those crazy, ludicrous, over-the-top annoying women in romantic comedies who constantly talks about her fiancé just so that she can hear herself say the word over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, annoying the f*** out of all the normal people she's around.

But the reality is that you're very probably not being perceived as anything close to that. You don't live in a comedy and you're not annoying the sh*t out of your friends, and you're certainly not being pretentious. You ARE engaged.

I would recommend using his actual NAME if you feel like you're using "fiancé" too much in conversation. Once someone knows that you have a fiancé and that his name is David, you can simply refer to him as David. That should at least take a little bit of the edge off.

Anway, soon enough, the time will come you won't ever be able to call him by that term again, so just enjoy it while it lasts.

What Guys Said 5

• If my wife would call me in her conversation ; my SO, my future husband to be, my prince charming husband to be or soon to be husband, then I would think something is wrong with her.

Fiancé is French and sounds very classy, which would depict me your future husband to be classy as well.

The word itself depicts a man who is engaged to be married, so it is the perfect word in any situation, that would require you tell the relation with that specific person.

If I could choose, I would rather have my fiancée call me her fiancé, makes me sound like a real catch.

I deliberately chose the female spelling form of the word in french which is with 2 e's.

• hahahaha I've never really thought about this before, but "fiance" does kind of sound pretentious if your not aware of it's meaning. That's only because the word comes from French and we associate French words with high class. I assure you though no one listening to you thinks you are pretentious though. It's only pretentious if you are talking about your fiance all the time to lord it over others who aren't getting married.

Unfortunately there isn't another word that means the same thing, but maybe if just say it once in conversation with your fiance's name and then for the rest of the conversation call him by first name or "he". ie. 'So, yesterday my fiance, (insert name here for example Rick) and I went bowling and ran into Cheryl. So, Rick runs to hide in the men's washroom cause you know Cheryl!" etc etc

I really don't think you have to worry about this, but maybe that will help without using the clumsy "future husband".

• You're just not used to it. Its the word.

Get ready to start saying 'my husband'

• Since you're opposed to 'boyfriend', really fiance is the easiest way to describe who he is to you. Are you worried you come off as bragging?

• soon-to-be

What Girls Said 3

• "Significant other"

"Other half"

"Better half"

"Love"

"Sweetheart"

Etc.

• I'm the same way I hate using the word fiancé! I still say he's my boyfriend and just say I'm engaged so I'm like you I don't know what to call him!

• my husband to be?