Ladies, does the price of an engagement ring matter to you?

Ladies, so let's say your mister proposes to you and gives you an engagement ring, would the price and appearance of the engagement ring matters to you the most?

Most Helpful Girl

• i don't think its so much the price as the look. the whole two or three months salary thing was thought up my jewelry companies. but the idea of it is something to think about- to know as a woman that you man saved up for months and schemed and planned and waited until the perfect time to ask you to marry him as he presented you with something that he hopes you'll wear for the rest of you life as a symbol of his love for you... maybe I'm romantic though

anyway assuming the guy makes minimum wage he make about

1200 a month

2400 in two

3600 in three

im my opinion you can find something that both of you can be proud of for $2000.

me for example I love vintage, and you can find really amazing rings on ebay in their antique rings, and I don't like diamonds so there are rubies, sapphire, emeralds, etc

you can definitely find rings for cheaper as well. I think before you even think of prices, watch what your lady wears and her friends, ask them for advice even. you might be about to get a loan out to but a 3 carat ring when your girl actually finds diamonds tacky. or her best friend might know she's always wanted a silver ring.

• If a guy's making minimum wage, he's not saving a grand a month. Likely not even a tenth that.

• Because I want one, I want everyone to see I'm engaged and then married. My future husband will have a ring too. Though as an engagement present I was thinking a nice watch instead. You assume I want my guy to spend all his money on me not the case, or that I'm not willing to spend money on him equally not the case.

I loved jewelry all of my life and I'm a designer, so it will mean a lot to me personally if he picks me a ring I like to show he knows me. And to tell others keep off my girl

• umm for that price, i think one month salary is enough to buy engagement ring.
      Very nice. thanks.

What Girls Said 87

• Does it affect my answer- not in the least. If I'm going to say yes, I'll say it regardless of what the ring looks like or how much it cost.

That being said- a guy who knows me would hopefully know my basic taste/style in jewelry (or have the sense to ask a female friend/family member). Appearance is secondary, but it matters since I'm going to wear it forever. Much more important than price- if he picked out an absolute horror, I might steer him towards returning it and us picking one out together, but only if it was awful. I'm not into huge rocks, so if it was something gaudy I might say something.

He should also know that I would be extremely angry if he spent a bunch of money on it (like over $2000). I'm not the girl who wants you to spend 3 months or 6 months salary or whatever ridiculous portion of your annual income is in fashion this year. I would be SUPER pissed if a guy did that, it's a piece of jewelry that's going on my finger, it's not going to help us buy a house, a car, or even pay for the wedding. Anything between $100-$1000 is ideal, although I don't need to see the price tag or bill and I wouldn't ask- I don't care as long as it's not too expensive.

• The appearance matters the most. I've seen beautiful rings before that aren't expensive. It's really not about the price tag for me. Besides, I inherited my grandmother's wedding ring and I think I'm going to make it easy on my future partner by telling him I want to use that as my engagement ring cause it's really beautiful. I can't imagine anything else I'd rather have.

• No. If he put some thought into it, and got me something that looks nice and I can wear for the rest of my life, that sounds like a good ring to me. I'd say my happiness and excitement about getting married to him eclipses everything else.

My parents exchanged pretty simple wedding bands when they got married, being poor post-docs. They also got married in front of a judge, waited in line at the court house, and had a 10 minute ceremony with only a few friends as witnesses. What really matters is that they've been married for 25 years and are still very much in love with each other. Most of the values I have concerning money and saving I have from them, so I really believe that the price of the ring, wedding, dress, whatever it is, is completely insignificant in comparison to the man you're marrying and the relationship you share.

• Having an engagement ring is nice, but I don't think of it as a necessity like I would the wedding band. Either way, I wouldn't put emphasis on how much to spend as much as I would appreciate the gesture and the sentiment behind it. As long as it had appeal, fit and the guy was sincere in regard to as why he's giving it, that would mean more to me than the amount he pays for it. The most valuable gift he could give me is to sincerely and wholeheartedly love and respect me, two gifts that doesn't require a price tag.

• Wow, are you ever welcome here at gag, with all the venal shopaholic girls on here!

• I like to shop, but I wouldn't consider myself a shopaholic. I understand there are more important things in life than how much a guy spends on an engagement ring. While it is a symbol of his love for a girl, there are more important ways to show it than going into bankruptcy. I would be happier if the guy treated me well and was sincere about it than buying me a ring that exceeded his comfort zone financially just because he felt an obligation to do so.

• Price doesn't matter to me and I'd personally feel uncomfortable if he spent beyond his means for a ring. Of course look matters but you can find a middle ground in my opinion and find a beautiful ring for a reasonable price. Women who aren't practical and care THAT much about a ring probably aren't grown up enough to be married anyway. Someone that truly loves you will love it, period.

OF COURSE there are gold diggers, but I don't think you can generalize all women the way some men on here do.

• Not really. I mean, I'd like to see that he put some thought into it and didn't just pick up something at Claire's that's gonna turn my finger green.

In all honestly, the guy is gonna matter to me way more than the ring.

• Price doesn't. Appearance does. I want it to be attractive. But I found my ideal ring - simple and only $99. So...as far as rings go, it's not very pricey.

I'd say yes regardless, but my boyfriend knows my preference on rings so this shouldn't be an issue.

• The price isn't important, although I wouldn't want it to be over $1500. Anything over that is too extravagant for a piece of jewelry, plus I would feel like he'd be trying to buy my love if the ring were overly expensive.

Appearance is more important, but I wouldn't be too bothered about it because I would trust him to pick out something I would love.

Also...other women ragging on me because of the ring? Screw that! I wouldn't tell my parents how much it cost and I sure as hell wouldn't tell my girlfriends because, really, it's no one's business but mine and my man's. :)

• I'm going to say it matters.

It matters because I wouldn't want him to spend a lot on it. I'd prefer he spent time carefully choosing a not so expensive ring that fits who I am, rather than picking an expensive cliché one and assume I'll like it because of the price tag.

I don't want and I don't need a flashy ring with a big rock. Engagement is about love, and I want something that shows he knows who I am and loves me for it. Something more personal than the "standard" diamond ring, because that's just not me.

In my dreams, the ring would be a reminder of some private joke we shared, to remind us of the unique bond we have.

Anyway, I don't think I'd say no to him over something like a ring. If I'm in love with someone, I'd be over the moon to have a proposal :)

• No... I mean I used to say to myself that I didn't care if it came from a vending machine. Lmao. It is nice though to know that your fiancĂ© thought you were worth spending money on. Some girls are all about the cost of the ring & the size of the rock... Other girls such as myself don't really care. In my mind, the ring doesn't really matter. I mean, it matters, but it doesn't... ha ha I don't know what I'm saying.

• nahh id trust his taste-- its more of the concept that's sweet

(when I get a wedding dress way in the future there's no wayy I'm getting one that's thousands of dollars --aint nobody got time for that! haha)

but its cute to know your guy is willing to spend a sh*t load on u. like dam, you think I'm worth that much? Lol

• If the guy wants to buy one whatever he want's to pay for. However I honestly do not care if I get one. Sure I have an idea in case it ever came up (gemstone for me none of this diamond stuff), but I would rather keep it simple.

I understand most people think it is a status symbol yada yada yada. I myself prefer to believe in the love of two people and not an object.

Now the wedding ring has to be there. White gold band (platinum if they can swing it) and if they really want an eternity band of saphires, but I would be fine with just a plain gold band as long as I love the guy.

• Not one bit. In fact, I refused one when my husband asked me to marry him. I had been engaged twice before and returned both rings to their rightful a$$holes. I didn't want another piece of carbon and metal. I wanted him. I have one now though.. he gave it to me on our 30th wedding anniversary when he asked me again if I'd marry him all over again.

• the appearence does matter a lot because she'll be wearing it for the rest of her life! If she really appreciates you, then she will accept what ever you chose because she will trust that you put effort into choosing something you think she would like. She you give it to her and the first thing that comes out of her mouth after "yes" is "how much did it cost?", then she doesn't appreciate you and you deserve better than that! So appearence wise, you should put a great amount of effort into chosing something you feel is specific to her, the price shouldn't matter! :)

• No. My engagement ring is a twist on the traditional claddagh ring. I don't really wear jewelry and am not comfortable wearing anything expensive. Plus the corruption and sheer violence behind every diamond doesn't sit well with me to say the least. People nowadays focus on the engagement ring, the bling-bling wedding but forget all about the actual marriage/relationship.

• Snsible Irish lassie, blood diamonds, indeed!

• I just don't see the point of spending a couple of grand on a piece of jewelry. That could be used for one kick-ass of a holiday(like we did) or put into a house you're going to share together and is much more important

• Price? No. If he could get a good ring for a low price, I'm not going to complain about it.

But if he gets me a fake, ugly, or tiny ring in order to save money. That is a piece of jewelry that I am supposed to be wearing for the rest of my life and skimping on it is a testament to lack of love. I don't want a designer ring with massive rock in high grade gold or anything, but if it's a little fleck or if it's cubic zirconium or in an ugly setting, I'm not going to pretend that I'm not upset.

• You have no idea that DeBeers company which owns all the mining companies rigs the price and gouges them through monopoly and child warfare.

Blood on your hands.

What's a good ring for a low price? $10k? Diamonds are worthless. Try reselling them after buying from a retailer. You'll get maybe 30% of what a jewelry store sells it for.

These days, a mossanite is indistinguishable from a diamond for 1/10th the price.

• That's just your way of being cheap. I pity the girl who marries you. It doesn't matter if mossanite is indistinguishable from a diamond, it's not a diamond. By buying that instead, you're basically saying, "I don't love you enough to get you a real one," which is exactly the case. And there are plenty of nice rings that are a lot cheaper than $10k. And if you've done it right, you're not supposed to resell it. But I'd prefer to have a resold one than a fake one.

• 'I don't love you enough to get you a real one'

Or it could say 'my woman is above such petty material things like diamonds...'

• I couldn't care less about the price...I'll be happy just as long as it's not gold, and it doesn't turn my finger green

• Well said :)

• @i wanna congratulate you for saying the phrase 'couldn't care less' correctly

Oh, I thought the same, too.

• Why thank you, it bugs me when someone says that "they could care less"...makes no sense!

• Appearance?

Simple is best for me.

Price?

I want to say it doesn't matter but when my guy friend asked me this very question a few months ago I found out it mattered to me MORE than I originally thought it would. I do NOT want a guy to go broke trying to buy me a ring but I don't want him to be cheap about it either...

I know it is a symbol but even so, something affordable FOR HIM is perfectly fine. Something just plain cheap is not.

If I end up loving a guy who can't buy expensive things (ever) I will be happy with whatever ring he decides to give me (he loves me which is most important) but if I know for a fact he just doesn't want to get something nice (not expensive) for the woman he loves when he is capable of doing it is not okay.

So, my opinion is: don't be cheap but don't think you have to spend ton of cash either and whatever is given will be appreciated. ^____^

• I never had one, and I paid for the matching sterling silver bands when I got married. Love has nothing to do with money or image.

• The price did not matter to me. I only want him to spend what he can afford without going into debt! Appearance is a little more important, I think. It is important to me that I like the way my ring looks, and I do. He picked a nice one. :)

• I am not interested in an engagement ring, though anything someone gives you out of love us valuable. So the money part the way I see it, is the more expensive the less genuine... Money used in form if affection, is imo, compensating for something authentic between the people.

In any case what would matter to me. What would matter most yo me is whether he can be graciously about me giving _him_ a ring...

• oh.. I forgot there's a engagement ring and a wedding band.

forget about the engagement ring all together. id get him a band he'd get me one, that's that. I think id like something made out of wood with turquoise stones in it. id probably just make them myself. and skip the engagement, the wedding and the ceremony all together.

• 'the more expensive the less genuine'

Too bad some of these other girls don't get that

• I don't even need a ring. Just a symbol that we are engaged is fine. Though I do prefer something I can wear and have with me all the time. I don't marry for material wealth so I don't see why it should be expensive.

• Seriously, even if he gave me a cardboard ring I'd accept it with a smile and maybe some tears of joy because the mere fact that he loves me enough to accept to spend the rest of his life with me would give me immense happiness. It's only a ring. His love is enough for me.

• The only thing that would matter to me is that he put some genuine thought and love into it. I wouldn't want a regular ring from Wal-Mart, because number 1- Every one sees and is able to have one. 2- I think Wal-Mart jewelry is poor quality. 3-How much trouble did he go through to get it? Did he just grab it as he made a last minute trip to grab some milk on the way home from work?

• I loved my ring, I was proud just to have a real diamond on my poor finger. Other people made me think my ring was less than average. I went through all the "haters" complaining about MY ring when they still don't have one themselves at all. Point is, love your life and all it brings to you.

I know women with 2 or more children and they have never been engaged, (not by choice)but told me my ring was a joke.

• Yeah, other women do this. Its one reason a lot of women say they don't mind, till it happens.

• No, I just want a thoughtful attempt in it. If he gets me this simple elegant ring, that I mentioned I liked about it or something, like I would obviously love it a million times more than a flashy diamond ring, that looks pretty pretentious. It all matters on the girl, if she likes those kind of things, then you already know what in mind to get

• Not really, I honestly couldn't tell a good fake gold one from a real one if I my life dependen on it. It shouldn't be really cheap. It's a ring that has to last for 40 or more years without looking worn off, so it should a have quality good enough to do that. And it should look pretty, other than that I don't really care

• YES! Personally I think that if you need to sell your damn kidneys in order to buy it, it isn't worth it! I'm the person that would rathe get a vending machine ring or an engagement rather than a 10 gatrillion dollar ring! But that's me! I also only like super simple rings, without all the cluttery crap! But I'm weird like that I guess!

• If I was with someone long enough to have him propose to me then he would either already know what I like (doubtful) or he would know we don't have the same taste and would bring me to chose my own. It doesn't have to be like the movies. After all the wedding bands are going to have to match. If you're in doubt you could always agree with the jeweler in advance that you could come back in with your girlfriend and get an exchange. You're likely going to have to go back to get it re-sized anyway.

• No!

I'd rather he let me pick it out though. I want mine from a thrift store :)

• More from Girls
    57

What Guys Said 18

• i know women who have told their husbands: "you know, the ring doesn't matter so much. we should both save our money instead to help pay for a house"

and that's how you know she's the real deal.

• My experience and what I've seen is that young in love women mainly care about the gesture, and are happy.

Then other women make them feel like crap if they don't have a 'good' ring.

'Good' varies by economic status, and age.

My wife and I got engaged when I was still a student. If I'd stayed single till now and were getting engaged today (and hadn't been supporting a stay at home wife and kids for last decade) I could buy a pretty damn expensive ring. So people around us who got married late have bigger rocks.

• Wise up girls. If that ring didn't cost him enough to where he felt he was making a sacrifice for you, then it really doesn't mean anything.

There is a term that describes a plastic "diamond" in a gold-painted setting: "panty remover". This term has been around longer than anyone here has been alive.

I do agree that the point isn't to get him to spend himself into bankruptcy, but letting him substitute glass and plastic for something that is supposed to be precious and incorruptible isn't the right thing to do.

The right answer is somewhere between the two extremes, something that is meaningful but at the same time doesn't exploit him.

• I was looking at a couple pretty nice ones a few months back that were really expensive. My girlfriend said that she didn't want me to ever get something that was really expensive so I kind of stopped looking. Guess it doesn't matter much anymore now really.

• I hate diamonds. Absolutely useless things that have been given worth by purposefully withholding them so they don't saturate the market. The fact that people are being killed over them makes it that much worthless to me. I think that the first ring doesn't need to be extravagant. $500-1,000 is about right. If at a later time you'd like to show your appreciation, then you can buy one that's a bit more extravagant. But by this time my partner should know where I stand on it and not expect a diamond. Something that looks the same would make no difference. If she broke up because she didn't get a diamond, then that says more about her than me.

• Oh hell yes. I sit on a floor surrounded by women and all they talk about is how expensive and engagement or wedding ring shud be. Only one in 5 says it does not matter.

• How else will they show off to their friends if they don't have an expensive engagement ring?

• The answers vary quite widely on this question...interesting

• Yes, well that's what happens when you mix liars and truth tellers. :)

• You should all know that engagement rings are a scam that started in the 40's.
    Jewelry companies began saying that your man was not a man until he bought you an expensive diamond ring, and idiots everywhere ate it up.
    Diamonds aren't even that valuable; companies just hold back their supplies to make it seem like they're rare but they're actually fuckin everywhere.
    Worst thing about this is that even after knowing all this, girls still want their ring.

• screw it...im putting a candy pop ring on it. take it or leave it! XP trolol

• Buy a $2m dollar rock and she'll blow you on the spot

bring a steel band and she may even laugh and say no

• Very interesting topic to read in :)

• i heard the ring should be worth a one month check -_- that's a lot of damb money in my field of work! my opinions on it is if the price of the ring matters... she's all about money and not you

• there is no material things that is worth more then the price of loving someone

• It does until they get robbed for it thugs love diamonds

• Come on people...we all KNOW the answer to this question. Women who deny it are just denying their true nature for the sake of not appearing shallow.

Men want sex.

Women want a big ring.

These are facts of life. Why deny them?

• Yes it does. If a man puts little to no thought into it and almost no money then she will care. If he makes any sincere effort and she is a good person than she will see that and appreciate it.

• Exactly, if a guy doesn't have a lot but he takes the time and saves, it would mean a lot. Or even if he proposed and said I don't have the ring now but I'm saving up for it, even that would be sweet

• Agreed

• Are you looking for the honest, truthful answer or the one the ladies here are going o give you? Lol.