Is marriage really worth it?

I know almost everyone does it or wants to do it someday.. but is it really worth it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think so. I think the western culture that I live in tells me that a "real man" is someone who can sleep with a lot of women. Sleeping with a lot of women and not pleasing them as well as yourself only tells me you know how to do what any dog can do, breed. But I disagree with that line of thinking. I think a real man is a man who can find one woman who fits him well (not perfectly) and who can work out a relationship where they each provide for each others needs and wants. A real man is a man who can please one woman sexually, physically, spiritually, emotionally for 40 - 50 years - that is a real man. That type of relationship is summed up in one word - Marriage. Happily married couples (i.e. married couples that WORK at their marriage) live longer, healthier, wealthier lives.

By the way I have been married for over 10 years and EVERYTHING is better now than in the beginning of our marriage. It isn't easy and it isn't always fun - but as we keep going, things just get better and better.

What Girls Said 2

• I don't think so. All marriage is, is a piece of paper and a few rights. I hate to say it but most people get married for the wrong reasons. I am perfectly content to never get married, I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I love someone whole heartedly.

• I have two points of views on this.

I think that if you feel it is the right thing to do, you both want it and feel that it can work then I think you should go for it as it can bring you closer together as a family. I think if you have children then you should defitnley do it.

I also think that it is sometimes not a good thing as you hear about so many marriages falling through and it also changes a lot of people. They are fine and happy until they get married and as soon as they do it falls apart and goes down hill and they split up.

If you are going to do it then I don't think you should rush in to it and you need to think it through. I think you need to be together a long time, live together and know a lot about each other for a chance of it working. There are too many people who rush in to this kind of thing.

What Guys Said 2

• It can be. You just have to understand that marriage is work and you have to actively be involved in making your marriage happy and fun. Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to accept the default. Determine what you need in a marriage and negotiate for it. In my own case, my wife insisted that monogamy not be a condition of marriage. This was not so much for her interest as mine. She had known me for years and she understood that while I occasionally slept with friends, I never forgot who I loved. For my part, I dropped the whole "obey" idea. She is her own person and makes her own choices.

This works for us and has worked for more than 15 years. At my class reunion, I had one of the oldest marriages in the group and I got married late. I adore my wife and wouldn't want to live my life without her.

• Not very often.

50% end; 40% are at some level of resignation or mildly-depressed toleration; 10% work beautifully.

Finally, for the guy...you're screwed. You will lose everything YOU worked for when she decides she "deserves" a "better life" and her girlfriends and new boyfriend rally around her in her time of crisis; while you are still working your butt off to pay for what she is no longer contributing, so she can use your money to get a lawyer to sue you for your money.