Would it freak you out if your girlfriend talked to you about marriage?

At what time in a relationship (e.g. year count, milestones) wouldn't it freak you out?

Most Helpful Guy

• Talk is just talk, but any woman that is pushy to get a commitment especially marriage would not get it. It just shows she's more interested in tying the knot then then the actual relationship. Some do it to obligate a man financially, so do it because they are actors and they figure once they've got cement boots on the guy they can drop the facade, some just want the status of being married to show of to their friends or satisfy their mother's urges and so on. Marriage has to be for the right reasons, so any pushing will be repelled and it's time to look for a new woman.

• How fast that happens really depends on how good of a woman she is and how open she is to me.

• If she's bugging me to get married so she can complete her goal to get married to anyone then I'd most likely dump her.

What Guys Said 6

• Well... if the topic is brought up within the first, let's say, six weeks, then it definitely would freak me out ;) I'd say about two years are the time it takes to get to know each other and to overcome the first feelings of having "fallen in love".

• If I've only known her for a few months, yea it would

• I wouldn't. It's a common thing since we're in a relationship.

• If it was under 3 years, I'd be weirded out. After 3 years, it makes sense to have a discussion like that.

• If we dated for less than a couple months than yes it would freak me out a bit.

• After two or three years, it wouldn't freak me out.

• How old are you? Are you used to long-term, committed relationships?

• I'm 21. I've had two long-term relationships. One lasted over one year. One lasted over 2 years.

What Girls Said 6

• It shouldn't matter on the time spent in the relationship - that's just a number.

It should depend on the strength of the relationship and where you both are in life.

That being said, it should be after at least a few years. I wouldn't even consider it until after 5, if ever. Marriage was designed for 100's of years ago and the reason it was done then is not the reason it's done now. Personally I think it's redundant now.

A contract drawn up on a piece of paper doesn't actually make two people more in love despite what a lot of people believe.

• "where you both are in life". Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what that "right time" in life is. You know, for instance, I'll graduate in 2 years. My boyfriend has already graduated. I'm hoping that by then, the subject will come by as our relationship would be almost 4 years old by then. If we're still together by then, I hope we'll be able to discuss this comfortably. I would be disappointed otherwise. It wouldn't be so bad if we moved in together or something - that shows commitment too.

• Oh four years. Yes, by that point you absolutely should be discussing where each of you intend the relationship going. I think it's a good idea that you're expecting to finish school before having that talk. Very wise :)

• Every guy I've ever been with has started talking about it like a month in. It's really weird for me but I don't want them to feel bad so I just politely tell them not to bring it up for a long time. I would feel more comfortable if it wasn't mentioned until it's been a year and not seriously discussed until it's been a year and a half or two. I want to be able to go into that kind of discussion with realistic expectations.

• it wouldn't freak me out.. I mean that's the point of dating to find the one you want to marry right? so I guess 6 months is fine... when your sure of all their habits and attitudes and your sure they are starting to love you as much as you love them... you can bring it up, to just see what they think as well... about marriage and all. =) good luck.

• If a guy I have been dating for less than 6 months talks about marriage than I will feel alittle freaked out. It takes a while to figure out if you really want to spend the rest of your life with that person.

• How long has the relationship has been determines whether I would freak out or not.

• The only man I have ever seriously discussed marriage with, is the guy that I'm marrying. We've been together 2 years and he proposed to me at month 8. I knew at month 3 I'd say yes if he asked and I've never thought I would marry any of my other boyfriends (I was with one for 3 years, and another for 4 years). We moved in together at month 3 as well. We are both in our late 20's and like another Answerer was talking about, it is just the right time in life for us. He surprised me with his proposal, I didn't think he'd be doing that for at least another year, but things have been going great. I wouldn't recommend the crash course like we did it, but everyone relates differently to each other and it's worked out great for us. As for bringing it up, I've tended to let the man choose the tempo for the relationship . . . We met and hung out for an evening, then I asked him if he wanted my number and from there left it up to him. He set up our first date, let me know he was interested, kept making and keeping plans with me, asked me to be his GF, so on and so forth. So I never felt the need to ask him about it. I knew he wanted to get married because he had been engaged before.

• My parents moved in together after about 3 months, were married after 6 months, and are still together. It sounds like you might have got it right with that guy. Good luck. =)