Do you believe in Gay Marriage? Voice your opinion.

I do not believe in Gay Marriage at all. I think that during the recent years, the gay rights movement has changed from one trying to promote acceptance and tolerance to one that is trying to promote itself as a desirable lifestyle choice.

To me it seems like this is trying to divide our society. We have many people who do not believe in this, and are being forced to accept and promote them in order to have support from them and those who accept them. For instance, I don't believe in that, and my sister and her friends are always attacking me, trying to make me change my beliefs. I respect gay people, but I will not support them, because those are my beliefs. I'm called ignorant over that. See what I mean. If politicians don't support that, than they are label as ignorant and many other things. Ex; majority of Republicans don't believe in same-sex marriage, so many people who defend gay people don't want to vote for Rep. I'm not a Republican, but at least they stand up and voice their beliefs of something they don't believe in.

To me Gay seems like something they're trying to push to society. Like now in TV shows, Movies, Media. Like if a famous celebrity comes out, it's a big deal and they get tons of media publicity.

Most Helpful Girl

• I do not "believe" in it, I simply accept and respect people who are gay and their lifestyle choices. I have several gay friends and I love them. What I DO believe in, however, is that everyone deserves love and anyone should be able to be with whomever they want. It makes no difference at all to me.

I would never judge someone because of who they choose to spend their life with. No one is telling everyone to be gay, that's ridiculous. I just see it as supporting those who ARE gay and encouraging those who already are gay to be open about it. No one should live in fear for loving someone but for centuries gay people have been looked down on and humiliated by others. I do not think that is right, I like to give support to those who need it and everyone I know who is gay definitely does need it.

I don't think anyone is being forced to accept anything, but that doesn't mean people who disagree with it should be hateful to gay people, because really, that's how many anti-gay people are. Gay, straight, we're all human, whatever gender someone decides to love has no basis of their character and the person they are inside. Honestly, more people should be tolerant of those who are different than they are, the world would be a much better place then I think. THAT is what I believe.

• I never said I hated gay people... I said I respect them and what they want, but I do not believe in what they're after. If someone chooses to be gay, I would still be their friend... I just don't support what they want. Just because my girlfriend believe in abortion I have to believe in it to make her happy?

• I like your answer the most. You made me change how I think, and why everyone should have their rights to be who they want to be, and be with whom they want. :)

I like how you didn't attack me, and your argument was really interesting.

• Wow, thank you! I really appreciate that and I'm glad my answer helped you:)

What Girls Said 11

• I absolutely support gay marriage- they are human, and as such deserve equal rights under the law. This means they should be able to do all the things all other people are allowed to do- marry, work free of discrimination, express their beliefs, be protected against violence because of them and about a million other things we take for granted.

I heartily disagree with you that being gay is something that's being pushed on society- if you read history, it's always been there, they've just had to operate on the fringes to avoid being imprisoned, killed etc. Hell, they still do in some countries- in several African countries you can actually be arrested for having homosexual contact with someone. To me that's just crazy!

Me- I'm attracted to men, but that doesn't mean every other woman has to be, it really has no bearing on my life. In general, other people's marriage/relationship choices don't really affect mine. I have a friend who I've known my whole life who came out 2 years ago- nothing changed in my life as a result, we're still friends, we still hang out just as much- the only real difference is now when she introduces me to her date it's a girl. My point- her or any other gay person getting married is not going to change my life and it will make theirs better, one more reason (besides equal human rights) to support gay marriage.

All that being said, I can see why you get annoyed with people for judging you over your beliefs. They're standing there telling you you're backward for judging gay people and not respecting their beliefs while trampling on yours. Not exactly a convincing argument...Personally, I think you're entitled to believe and feel however you want about pretty much any issue so long as you don't actually harm other people or incite violence against them. I certainly disagree with you, but that's perfectly fine, I believe diverging beliefs are essential for a Liberal democracy.

• "trying to promote itself as a desirable lifestyle choice."

Being gay isn't a "lifestyle choice". You don't choose who you're attracted to. It seems rather silly to suggest that the gay rights movement is trying to promote itself as a desirable lifestyle choice when they don't see it as a choice.

If you believe that being gay is a choice, then you ARE ignorant.

You act like people are trying to force things on you, but no one is trying to force you to be gay or to get married as a man. They're simply asking for equal rights. If anything, people who are against gay marriage are trying to force their own beliefs and views on morality on other people.

"To me Gay seems like something they're trying to push to society. Like now in TV shows, Movies, Media."

Why shouldn't gay people be portrayed in TV shows and movies? It's not "pushing" anything on society to show reality---that gay people exist.

• I don't see how two people in love wanting the same recognition and rights as other people in love promotes anything but equality.

It isn't about their lifestyle - it's about equal rights for all citizens.

• I don't believe in any marriage. I think it's a failed institution and in our modern world it is completely unnecessary.

That being said, if gays want to get married I ABSOLUTELY support it. We are all human and they should not be denied anything. I'm delighted that in Canada we allow it. I'm proud of this :)

How is gay marriage more of a threat to marriage than quickie vegas weddings or marriages where both partners are rampantly cheating on each other? Or how about marriages resulting from ultimatums?

I think that if it's such an issue for all of these religious people then ONLY religious people should be able to get married and the rest whether gay or straight get civil unions or whatever.

People don't choose to be gay and they shouldn't be punished for it. I think all you religious people need to be more open minded and accepting rather than picking and choosing specific parts from the bible when it suits your cause while ignoring other things.

I believe in gay marriage but I absolutely DO NOT believe in organised religion. None of you can think for yourselves instead opting to selectively blindly follow some outdated book.

• How is civil union marriage? Another thing is I never said people choose to be gay. But, scientist have stated that no one is born with gay genes, although the media without actual proof or studies keep saying they are. Another thing is I don't understand why people always bring religion to this talk. No one mentioned religion, as I am not a very religious person.

• Why should it matter if they get married or not? I'm for gay marriage because it makes them happy, it makes me happy to see them happy, and there are no negative consequences for anyone, as far as I know.

Being gay isn't a choice. Gay people aren't trying to divide anyone or convert people; they just have a biological tendency that many people use as an excuse to hate on them. They aren't wrong for loving the same sex either; the only difference is that they can't procreate naturally without outside help, which is fine, because they can use alternate methods or adopt and be just as good parents as straight couples.

That is why I think it's bigoted to be against gay marriage. If gays are in anything, too many people freak out and claim there is an agenda. It's like any form of media has to be the stereotype/convention to be considered "neutral."

• Where is your problem? That gay people want to be treated like straight people and don't want to be approached as outlaws? WoW how selfish from them! You can't claim you tolerate them, if it bothers you that gay marriage exist!

You really think all the people struggeled this long movement of getting the same rights etc. to be finally on screen? Being gay is not a lifestyle wether it is a big deal.

• I don't see why you're attacking me... Again, this is what I mean about gay supporters, they attack everyone who doesn't support everything gay people want. Reminds me of people who call people who dislike some of things Obama does a racist. Gosh!

• yeah because I really don't get your pont? your pissed of bout what you see in tv? or you think some kind of people don't deserve the same rights like you have?

• Firstly well done for not going anonymous. To your question "believe" may not be the right word but yes I do support gay marriage. Being gay is not a lifestyle CHOICE. Who wakes up one morning and says hey life isn't hard enough so I think I'll become gay.

• I am 100% anti-gay marriage and the latest supreme court ruling in particular. For me its more so about the constitution and the fact that the supreme court does not have the right to enact law. That power lies solely with Congress. Additionally, there is the issue of church and state. This states that government cannot regulate any sort of religion and that's exactly what they've done here. None of it is constitutional and is actually illegal not to mention its also an abomination

• No I'm against it

• Gay people are still people - it's not like they're asking to marry a goat or anything, haha!

I support gay rights, absolutely. Gay people should have the same rights straight people have. To deny them that is oppression, plain and simple. Two people of sound mind, of legal age, want to devote themselves to one another, in every way... who are you to tell them they can't have that?

Gay people don't choose to be gay. Just like straight people don't choose to be straight, they just are.

**Imagine this - You're romantically and sexually attracted to women. But everyone around you, including religion and the law, tells you that's wrong and tries to force/pressure you to be with men. How would you feel? You'd feel it was against your nature, wouldn't you? You'd feel awkward and unhappy, trying to be something you're not, wouldn't you? You'd feel unsatisfied and possibly even grossed out, wouldn't you?

I want to think about that every time you start to say "they chose their sexuality".

They didn't choose it any more than you chose yours. Your being intolerant and oppressive IS a choice.

• I'm indifferent

I'm not out there carrying gay marriage banners but I also wouldn't care if they get married or not

I don't see them getting married as a huge deal

What Guys Said 10

• Firstly.. All recent scientific data points to homosexuality NOT being a "lifestyle choice"

Your whole idea of gays "pushing" themselves on people is completely ridiculous. There have been gays for as long as there have been humans and it's only recently that they're beginning to be able to be open with who they are. There are still places in the world they can be killed simply for loving who they love. If a straight couple kisses on a TV show or in public are they forcing their heterosexuality on people? Of course not they're just expressing love to who they love.

Even the Supreme Court is expected to overturn DOMA sometime this month. I'm sure they will stop short of pushing the law on all the states like they did when they took the ban down on interracial marriage but it's a huge start. There is no legal reason to prevent gay marriage in the United States. A law like DOMA is religiously motivated and in the constitution it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." If the Supreme Court is following our own laws it must strike down DOMA.

• Something else that I don't understand about people who think as you do.. How does gay marriage becoming legal influence how you live your life? You're still able to love as you choose and get married in the way that you'd like. It just puts things in society on an even footing. You can go and get your religious marriage that you consider sacred and others can marry in their own way. Would I want to be in a gay marriage or relationship? No but I want others to have rights that I do.

• Why is it that gay people think everyone who does not support them is religious? Hm... I guess we all judge people for what they believe in without knowing them, right?

• Well I just meant in relation to DOMA which is a law that is religiously motivated.. What is your reason for preventing gay marriage then?

• But why does it matter that you agree or not, how does it infringe on any of your rights or freedoms. In what way does it effect you negatively. In a free country we are free to make decisions as long as it does not infringe on others freedoms or break laws. Morals are subjective. Didn't papacy just recently tried to cover up pedo priests? So its OK to be a pedophile but not OK to be happy with your sexuality, and freedom to be free and freedom to get married.

Being gay is not a choice, if that was the case. I could turn gay or a Bi in a heartbeat. They are that way because that's how they are born. The way we have feelings and desires for the opposite sex, they have the same feelings and desires for the same sex. That's it. That's all. So why is that bad.

They're not harming anyone. They're not doing anything to anyone. They simply want to live their life, and have the same freedom and choice that straight people have. So what would be wrong with same sex marriage, apart from church told me so.

• Another one with the religious sh*t again... See this is what I mean... Why is it that every gay supporter when they see someone doesn't support something gay people want, the first place they go is to religion. Seriously? Do gay people only think that is religious people who dislike them. That's a big judgment right there.

• Well the reason being the strongest opposition worse even bigotry towards gay people does come from the church or religiously conservative people. That plays the strongest part in opposition to gay marriage. The main people opposing gay marriage are religious. Hence automatic assumption they must be religious or another conservative religious organization.

• Everyone opposing gay marriage is not religious like you said, but their is very strong correlation between being strongly religious and opposition to gay marriage.

Why for example do you oppose gay marriage or might not be in the favor of gay marriage. Without invoking the scriptures.

• Who f***ing cares what they do with their lives?!?

If you wanna marry a brick go marry a f***ing brick for all I care.

They aren't harming other people doing so or breaking the law, so why do others feel such an urgent need to butt into others' lives like they have a right to dictate how their fellow citizens should live?

• I said voice your opinion. You need a chill pill dude. Jesus!

• I'm just riled up on this topic cause it's been on the media for a month non-stop, they barely talk about anything of any importance anymore. Not like they did a great job of that before but this is nuts!

It is, of course, your right to voice your disagreement if you don't think they should marry. Personally I see nothing wrong with it. But more than anything I don't care, I'm sick of hearing about it, reading about it. So I kinda took it out on your Q, my bad xDDD

• Do you believe in Gay Marriage? Voice your opinion.

I, for one, think every marriage must be gay (Yes, pun intended!).

• Being Gay< that is simple, we have to make many choices in our lives, like growing up, taking responsibility
    for our actions. We are directed from the beginning, we see a man and a woman as a couple with
    child (ren) , women can not bear Child (ren) on their own they need a man to help in this process. It is wrong to have two men or two women together as parents or a married couple, it is an abomination in the eye's of God the Father of us all. Come on people wake up!!! If your a non-believe you need to pick up a Holy Bible we are all children of Christ, Please see how wrong we are to except the "Gay lifestyle" I know from experiencing this first hand!!! If I can change my life to recognize my mistake so can anyone else, with the help of Jesus Christ. I am not at all saying that Gays' are bad people Just that they have believed a lie from the start, We all have questions? If you feel lead to Question who you are, Ask God to show you, and be patient, wait as he will answer you!! trust me as I went through this for 28 years , until I got my answer!! God luck and God Bless

• You're basically stopping people from being happy just because of your personal values.

• it's like saying, "Do you believe in the sky" or "do you believe in evolution". It doesn't matter what you believe, the fact is it exists.

• "Believe" in gay marriage? This is why people make themselves look so moronic about this topic. I "believe" that it's nobody's business who marries who, so keep out of it. You don't like it? I have a simple solution: don't do it. It's really that easy.

As for trying to promote it as a desirable lifestyle choice, there are two things wrong with that. Firstly, if you think it's a choice you haven't put any thought into WHY you feel the way you do. Did you ever choose to be heterosexual, or have you just always been that way? That's big hint #1 on people thinking that gay people choose to be that way, simply because it's not "normal". Second, why is pushing for two main things (acceptance and allowance/freedom) trying to make you specifically choose a gay lifestyle? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. Provide examples of what you think gay people are doing to try and push the gay lifestyle onto you. Watching the gay/lesbian TV network? Change the channel. Don't like a movie or TV show having a plot involving gay/lesbian couples? Don't watch it. Extend this thinking to other topics besides gay relationships. Do you like soap operas? I doubt it, so do you watch them? Hell no.

I agree with you on if a celebrity comes out, how it's made into a big deal. But this is hardly to do with them being gay/lesbian, and everything to do with the fact that they're a celebrity. If a celebrity takes a sh*t in a porta-potty it becomes a big deal. That stuff happens all the time, man (celebrity news and gossip, not the sh*tting part lol).

• Hm... My questions has to do with that exactly. When I spoke about desirable, I meant to say why are they pushing this so hard on everyone. Like the media is making such a big deal about being gay. Like I said, I don't mind people being gay, and I will always voice my opinion on what I think. I don't care what anyone thinks. They can call me an idiot, moron whatever they like. But I will never support something which I don't believe in. I mean, hey to each their own.

• "People just get married to say they got married"

Then this isn't about gay marriage/relationships at all, that argument is more about your disappointment in modern marriages in general and not just gay people.

And where do you think gay people come from? Straight parents. Again, it's not about "trying" anything, people are born the way they are. You and I were born heterosexual and never once had to decide because it's just what we were always like.

• The confusing part for children of gay parents is trying to understand why society is against them. Nobody sees those parents like the child does, and the child doesn't see anything wrong with two people loving each other. They aren't any different than you or I. This idea of yours that someone being gay isn't "right" somehow is a very 1950's type of thinking.

Besides any religious beliefs you may have, why do homosexual relationships seem wrong to you?

• Government shouldn't be in the business of moralizing or privileging some relationships at the expense of others. So, I disagree with both sides really, hence the policy I want which I explain here: link

• At least you didn't make this question anonymously. Good for you

• Yeah! I'll give you that too!

• Why should I? Listen man, I speak up... That's the difference between me and some people. I was told to always say how I feel, and if I have to voice my opinion regardless what people think, I'm going to do it. I have no shame about voicing my opinion. I rather people call me stupid, moron and whatever they want for not thinking the same way they do. LOL