Women: How much should he spend on the engagement ring?

I've known men (upper-middle class, not rich) who have foolishly spent over $20,000 to 80,000 on an engagement ring. I've heard some people say "X amount of months of a man's salary". And that's crazy. Although, it's not good to go bargain hunting for the cheapest ring possible either.

I've met a women who said to me "I told my husband not to go extravagant on a ring. I told him we should use that money to save up for a house instead". And that man is lucky to have such a practical caring woman.

Where is the balance between finding a very good ring, and just flat-out too expensive for a peice of rock?

• $2000 or less
  • $4000 or less
  • Over $4000

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the rule is you're supposed to spend the equipment of 3 months' salary.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to spend so much on a symbol. I say buy something beautiful but less extravagant. Spend that money on something more fun, like a great honeymoon or a down payment for a house.

• yes, 3 months salary is retarded. and I've heard even some people say 6. what am I supposed to do for 3 months? starve?

• Don't ask me, haha!

I would never want my man to spend that much on a ring. I prefer understated wedding rings anyway. If they're too big, they lose class, in my opinion.

What Girls Said 8

• It would depend on the guys job, if he was a high earner, $5000 or less, if he was a low earner, $2,500 or less.

• very true. if a guy makes $150k, there's no reason why he can't get a good ring. but if he makes $35k, then there's no reason why he should be expected to give up 2 months salary

• way less then 2 grand holy crap. I saw some really nice ones I liked for less then a grand

• 2000 is a lot of money but what do I know

• A, you could use that money for something else definitely.

• i honestly dont think a ring is even necessary...

• I think all of the amounts mentioned are way too much, I voted A, though I still think 2,000 is too much, because I think like the woman in the example you gave, I'd rather have a cheap ring and spend the money in something more important, I would also hate to spend too much in the wedding, you might call me stingy with money but I'm used to not having much money so I tend to save up everything I get

• I chose 2000 or less, since in science this year I learned most diamonds are man made anyways, they actually are really rare. They claim them to be real diamonds in the jewelry store but the real ones are the man made ones. A real one out of the ground would cost way way more. If I was going to marry the guy I wouldn't care if it was a ring pop I'd be ecstatic as long as its still in the wrapper I can save it forever:)

• What is the purpose of spending a huge amount of money on what's basically a glorified accessory?

What Guys Said 2

• Damn, American engagement rings are expensive.

• Why can't she spend for an engagement ring too :O