Why did marriage become the absolute mockery it is today?

Divorce rates are like 50%... barely anyone abstains... now unnatural marriages keep creeping in and it is considered "intolerant" when people oppose an institution as old as recorded history being dismantled...

Most Helpful Guy

• There's a few reasons. Years ago most women had a "Stay at home" role and took care of the children. Now it's considered "offensive" because guys will say things like "Stay in the kitchen" and a feminist uproar would occur. So back then there was still at least some system. Man made money, woman maintained order in the house.

Now with the economic decline both parents need to work and children typically know their babysitter better than their parents.

The other issue is that more men are having a problem with women getting all sorts of benefits financially from marriage and men are taking all sorts of risks. Most women refuse to marry a guy who makes less than them so typically men get screwed over financially when a divorce happens. There are some rare occasions where the guy makes out. Women claim "I want my man to be successful" and we all know that is in relation to his income. Watch how many would jump all over a guy if he made 100K a year greeting at a Walmart. We know women are implying income when they say "successful career oriented man." A guy could make 30K a year and absolutely love his job and a girl would easily turn away. OKCupid went through their data and showed the activity level of male's inboxes based on their income. We know the facts. link

The other thing is that weddings themselves are ridiculously expensive. The average wedding cost in 2012 was $28,400. How many people could actually afford that? Jobs are asking us to do everything for them minus the pay and are laying people off left and right. A high income is hard to get now.

Another big problem in general is that most people are marrying out of impulse. A lot of women find marriage crazy guys proposing to them early on and it legitimately scares them off. But I am sure many people marry out of impulse. They don't spend any time moved in together and then when they do move in they want to rip each others' hair out and a divorce happens.

Another issue is all these single moms popping up in their early 20's. They're pretty much narrowing down their choice of dates significantly and are a huge potential for ex-boyfriend drama.

What Girls Said 4

• Because it's completely outdated and unnecessary now. It was originally just a legal contract where the men promised financial security and property in exchange for the woman having his children and caring for them and the home.

Marriage is absolutely pointless these days because most families need a dual income. Now marriage is just a legal contract that makes you one person and people for some reason think this magical contract makes you more in love.

Also when marriage originated people didn't live as long. They were only promising to spend ~20 years with someone, not 40-70 like today!

• marriage was based on private ownership. As in women were property. You're offended that slavery is kind of outdated in most cultures...

• Marriage is seen as an option nowadays, and not necessary. I think since sex has become more and more available, people would rather have a no strings attached relationship than a life long commitment, which I don't think is right, in my opinion. I'm all about loyalty and commitment, so seeing marriage become a mockery is disheartening.

• Promiscuity and casual sex.

What Guys Said 4

• Because people don't need their spouse anymore in order to make it through this life. This has led to people viewing marriage much differently. Marriage is now more of an option than a necessary part of life.

• I will give you my daughter in exchange for some property". Or in exchange for hard labor. That's what marriage was in most ancient civilizations for a long time. Marriage was a legal contract and most marriages were prearranged. Marrying for love is only recent. Most people would rather get a divorce and try to find someone else than work out there differences. As far as "unnatural" marriages. I don't see how two men or two men who love each other getting married affects any straight couples marriage. Unless they are religious fanatics who can't stand the thought of Gay people having the same rights and benefits as them.

• The American male has been made mostly irrelevant by feminism and liberalism.

• Government messed it up, basically.