At what age should the parents not pay?

I'm sure you know the tradition where the parents of the bride pay for the wedding. My question is, at what age do you think it's odd for them to pay?

Would it be odd for the parents of a 30 something to pay for her wedding?

Would it be odd for parents to pay for the wedding of their daughter who has been moved out and living on her own for a year +?

What if it's her second wedding? Say she divorced/her husband died...would it be odd for her parents to pay for her wedding a second time?

Just curious for your thoughts.

Most Helpful Girl

• 30 something...hmm if the parents wanted to help then kudos to them.

They aren't obligated to pay but if they knew their child really needed it (and the 30 something person was also trying their hardest/not freeloading) then I would hope, if the parents had the means, that they would help.

Moved out thing...30 something rules apply

Wow yeah second time would be a little harder to get a lot out...but if the person was opting for a small wedding and money was tight and they signed documents to pay the parents back then why not

What Guys Said 5

• Most parents will pay for a wedding at almost any age if it's the first wedding. But after that, they're going to expect you and your groom to pay most of it. Unless they're very wealthy, they only have enough money for one big wedding.

• I'm not sure is it a Finnish thing, but I've always found the whole parents pay tradition a bit odd. I'm not sure if it even happens that much in Finland. My parents would never pay for my wedding nor my sister's. I would though let them pay if they offered so I'm not judging.

I think +30 sounds just about right. I'd expect a person over 30 to be almost completely self reliant. Though again if the parents want to pay then go ahead.

• It would be around 23.

• I think if the parents are happy to pay, and the couple is happy for them to pay, the parents should pay. The age doens't really matter.

I would never ASSUME my bride's parents or my parents or anyone else would pay, though. Unless my fiancee and I could afford the wedding we wanted, we wouldn't book it until we could afford it. If someone else would offer to pay, I'd count that as a welcome surprise.

• This must be a regional thing because I've never heard of parents paying for a wedding lol.

So I guess that's my answer: any age is old enough for a person to cover their own wedding.

What Girls Said 6

• Should the parents pay? I think that depends on the culture and feelings of if they want to. I think that you should have wedding within the means of anyone paying or helping to pay. That's why I plan on eloping (parents said they would pay for the dress should I choose this route) or family only ceremony, with a large reception for everyone to enjoy themselves. I would much rather have my parnets spend 3k on a catered party and invite everyone instead of picking and choosing.

As for the second time around it's not traditional in a sense for the brides parents to pay, same as it's not traditional to get married more than once in a big white poufy dress.

• well I think parents shouldn't pay for the wedding, more so if the girl doesn't live with them anymore.

• anything beyond 30

• i wouldn't make my parents pay

• I would never expect my parents to pay for my wedding and I don't really get that whole tradition. I think the people getting married should pay for it themselves.

• My parents won't pay for a wedding when me or my sister get married. They've said they could pay for our education or for our weddings and they chose education. They paid for their own wedding as well, so I guess in our family the tradition of having someone else pay for your wedding never really happened. I find it odd in general to expect someone else to pay for your wedding, no matter the age of the people getting married.