Should strong independent women be feminine/submissive with their boyfriends/husbands?

When I say Strong Independent women , I'm referring to women usually are goal oriented , only looks out for herself , never seem weak, etc etc.

I didn't notice but a lot of men don't feel "needed " around women like this. One guy claimed that it's "against the way of society ".

Well , I don't agree with his opinion but I understand it can be tough dating someone who acts differently from the usual standards.

I'm indifferent on this , What do you think?

• Yeah.
  • No. She should remain the same
  • Not submissive but very feminine

Most Helpful Girl

• Great question! Here's where I stand on this. I've always been independent. I have a masters degree and a good job and can completely support myself and have. My opinions are my own and I've never "needed" a man.

That being said, I believe the man should be respected for being a man and all the responsibilities that come with his role in a relationship. I adore my man and make it a point to never emasculate him. He's treated like a king! It's a beautiful balance. I don't lose who I am and am a strong women but we have mutual respect and power in the relationship. I never bash him behind his back or make him look stupid in front of his friends or others, and he's the same with me.

I think you can have both independence and be feminine. I think it's ideal!

• Great answer! I wish more women saw things like you and my wife do.

What Girls Said 10

• I think the women should be feminine/submissive with their boyfriends/husbands only if they feel like it...not just because they feel that they have to.

• I think sometimes men and women confuse being achievement oriented with being an a**hole. Men get away with this a little more, but traits of being self-centered, unable to compromise, lacking compassion, workaholic, etc -- generally end up being relationship killers for both sexes. A guy can skate by with these qualities if he acquires wealth and buys a different dynamic of a relationship, but men don't usually compromise in the same ways that women do when picking a partner. So a woman needs to be kind, caring, compassionate, flexible -- probably more than a man does, despite being strong and independent.

• A woman shouldn't change how she is for a guy. If she is an independent girl she cna make the guy do things for her because it is nice to have somebody do things for you and somebody to lean on. But I don't think they have to change their values or the way they act

• "Should?"

No one should do anything they don't want to. But women who parade themselves as strong and independent often have sh*tty personalities and are men repellents.

Do smart people have to tell people they're smart?

Do funny people have to tell people they're funny?

Do boring people have to tell people they're boring?

So why do women like that have to repeat that they're strong and independent?

Anyways, most don't. So I'll say C

I'll go ahead and say I'm probably the opposite of a "strong, independent" woman. I'll admit that I need a man in my life for many things. if it makes me weak, so be it...i'm coo w/that

• Not to be antagonistic, but what do you need a man for. You said you need them for many things.

• Makes perfect sense

• I don't expect a guy to change the way he is so he shouldn't expect me to change the way I am.

• If a guy can't be with a strong, independent woman, that's fine. He, his submissive girlfriend, and his microscopic penis can go off and have a very nice life together.

I feel like any man who is secure and confident in himself can handle an independent girlfriend and in most cases, would even want one. The amount of neediness in any person's partner says a lot about they feel secure about themselves. If they need a clingy, needy SO, they're probably a bit insecure. If they're comfortable with someone who is independent and has their own life, then they're probably pretty secure.

• I fit that description.i'm not for every guy and I'm fine with it.even though I'm strong I prefer more alpha types.that's the type of guy who fits me best. Like the traditional type of guy.for some reason women like me are said to be best suited for meek and mild men, but they don't attract me at all. truth be told,I need a dominant guy nobody else can even compare

• If that's what gets them going, you shouldn't do what you don't feel comfortable with.

• Sure if they want to

• well I agree on feminine but not submissive. girls need to enforce the guys masculinity.

What Guys Said 7

• It depends on how independence is defined to the individual. One person can say "I'm independent" and another person will disagree because he is living with roommates and not by himself. Another person will define independence as just "paying your own bills" regardless of other circumstances.

The problem with some women who claim to be independent is that the next thing they say is "I don't need a man." So this leaves guys thinking "Why is she trying to find a date" and the guy moves on. Also honestly, the ones who insist they are tend to be the least independent and this can range from issues like clinginess all the way down to huge debt and maxed out credit cards.

• Absolutely not! People should be however they want to be. I like the independent and strong types so I wouldn't like it if they all suddenly changed because they felt like it's what their boyfriends/husbands wanted haha

• Don't be ridiculous. Feminine and submissive women are dull as hell

• I think it depends on her expectations. If she wants her man to be dominant, then she should be submissive.

• Love, security(more so physical and emotional), protection(not that anything will happen, but still). Plus, I want to get married and have children and to become a stay at home mom

I think not having my dad involved in my life(due to circumstances) has taught me I do need men to some degree. I don't need men in the sense that I sleep around for attention, affection or to validate me. But I do need that male support and companionship

• i'm a strong independent black woman and I don't need no man

• She should be who she is and find someone who likes her for her. If not, then the relationship is doomed.

• They should act however they want