Best Friend's Wedding, Expensive Tux!

So one of my best friends is getting married and he wants me to be a groomsman. that's all well and good, and I already agreed, but I recently found out that the Tux is going to cost 180 bucks to rent! Isn't that a little high? Throw in the cost of a hotel that weekend and the 6 hour drive and the wedding gift and the whole thing is going to be costly as hell!

What do I do? (About me, I am a grad student who is about to go into debt (Not serious debt) just to pay for school.) Bite the bullet and throw all my spare cash to my name on this wedding that isn't even mine?

Most Helpful Guy

• $180 isn't too far from the norm, maybe a little high but I've paid more. I've been the broke grad student that had to shell out money to attend and participate in friend's wedding's and it sucks, but if you take advantage of it it's well worth the price of admission. First off, the gift. They're your friends, they know your a broke grad student something simple will do. Carpool and share a hotel room if possible. You're still at the age where piling 3-4 people into a hotel is acceptable. Now, for the Return On Investment (I'm assuming you single, if not this really doesn't apply). The awesome thing about your friends weddings right after college is the most of the attendees are in your age bracket and the single ones are usually more "open" than normal. Mix in free booze and dancing and you have a recipe for success. Being a groomsman can be an even bigger advantage since every single girl will be checking you out during the ceremony. For an added bonus casually make a funny or witty comment to the bridesmaid you get paired with during the walk out. If any girl is already checking you now you're cute and funny. Of course if this is one of those super-religious weddings where they don't allow dancing or drinking or fun, then just remember that nothing will get a girls attention faster than a guy wearing a tux in a bar, or McDonald's, or anywhere really.

See, now that $180 bucks looks like an investment not an expense.

What Girls Said 3

• i think that if you already accepted there is nothing you can do about it so just try to find people to drive with or find a cheaper tux

• if you agreed you need to accept it. but why odnt you see if you can share costs with another person?

• Weddings can get expensive, especially if it is out of town. See if you can split the hotel room with someone, and carpool to get there. A friend of mine is the maid of honor at a wedding in August, and since it is out of town, it will put her out about $1000 between the dress, shoes, hair, nails, gift, and all the other stuff. She didn't even go to the Vegas bachelorette party. Weddings are crazy.

What Guys Said 3

• Welcome to being in weddings. Consider it an investment to drink free booze, eat a meal and f*** a bridesmaid.

• just do what you agreed to man.

• just try to find a cheaper tux