How to decline a marriage proposal?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 months and have known each other for 6 years. We've dated on and off since we met. Recently he's been dropping marriage hints. Anything from subtle questions about various ways to propose to openly commenting on wedding dresses/ceremonies/etc.

Talking today he said we have to talk later and that it wasn't anything bad. When I asked him what it related to he said he just needed sometime to get a few things together and that it is a big discussion.

If he were to propose I would have no choice but to refuse for a couple of reasons.

1) I'm going away to college in the fall and I feel he'd be trying to trap me.

2) I feel to young too be engaged.

3) I have a before marriage bucket list I want to do.

I don't want to lose him but I'm also not ready for this kind of commitment. If he does propose how can I politely refuse without sacrificing the relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• Way to young to get married.

You should have told him before, at some point I. Your relationship, that you aren't looking for something too committed yet. But your past that point now

If he proposes, but doesn't accept your "not yet" than it isn't going to work.

What Guys Said 1

• "I love you but I'm also not ready for this kind of commitment." Done.

What Girls Said 3

• tell him what your plasn are and what you are feeling, be honest wtih him but try to find a sensitive way to tell him no. say you need more time to be sure its the right decision to make.

• just tell him the reasons why you don't want to marry him

• Just be assertive