Is the definition of marriage a union between a man and a woman?

Who else but me believes that the definition of marriage is a union between a man and a woman?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 30

• Not I. I see it as a union between two individuals who love & respect each other and both want to commit to living their lives together.

• totally agree. I'm also really happy that last year marriage between homosexuals in church were made legal

• I too don't see any logical reason that convinces me that same sex couples shouldn't be allowed to marry.

• Wow, three down ratings... that's sad. Thanks for the up ratings.

• You know, the act of marriage is a man made concept. You don't see animals getting married. Some have life partners (such as swans) and some mate with many (Whales).

Besides, there are animals that are bi, and gay, as well as humans.

So you see, you're question is invalid. Nice to know your life is so boring that all you can do is complain about others when it's none of your bloody business and doesn't hurt you. Stop judging others and start thinking more about improving yourself.

• its also nice to know that your telling someone not not judge right after you did it yourself. good on you darling:)

• it is his business.. he lives on the same planet you do sherlock-.-

ppfffftt 'reasonable judging' your so clever! :)

• Then why does it bother you but doesn't bother me? I'm straight and don't care who my neighbor is in love with.

• I believe that's one definition of marriage- but if you've ever opened a dictionary you'll know there are very few words with only ONE definition. For me, that is what a marriage in my own life would entail- though I could pick apart the definition anyway since you can have a platonic "union" or bond with a person of the opposite sex that doesn't constitute marriage...

It doesn't bother me in the least that there are many other people for whom marriage means a union between two men or two women. If they want to marry the person they're in love with, build a life together, have a joint chequing account, argue over whose turn it is to take out the garbage- how in the world does that affect me? Unless of course they invite me to their wedding, and then I have to make the decision whether to get them a blender or scotch glasses, but that's no different than when I go to a heterosexual wedding.

If you don't believe in same-sex marriage, well then, marry a woman and your conscience will be clear. Problem solved.

• Um, all the people out there in the world who say that they feel that way?

Not me, though. I'm on the other camp. I believe in civil rights and social justice and I don't see any logical reason that convinces me that same sex couples shouldn't be allowed to marry.

• First off it's cute that you are anon but no one else is allowed to be...haha I can't believe that there are still homophobics out there that are between 18-24. Get over your bigotry and hate and learn to embrace and celebrate love in all forms. Love between two consenting adults that want a family and to grow old together is a beautiful thing, we should all admire that love that bonds two people in Holy Matrimony.

• but matrimony isn't exactly 'holy' if its between 2 of the same gender. like I'm not a homophobe or any of that sh*t but the sacrament of marriage was always destined for man and woman, that's what makes it holy. if its between two of the gender you can still call it matrimony, but putting holy before it is somewhat incorrect.

• I mean spare the rod spoil the child right? So of course you should beat your child or else they will be rotten, if you don't you MUST NOT BE CHRISTIAN. I mean it's this kind of small mindedness that makes Atheists look down on religious people. It's small minded people like this that start wars and fight in the name of "God".God is just a reflection of who people are, and the God you worship is pretty damn nasty.God doesn't make people gay and then punish them for it. They aren't hurting anyone

• Today's equivalent of Sodom and Gomorrah is the p*rn industry if anything, not gay couples. Just saying. You probably won't agree with me because a book says differently so why don't you ask the "finger of God". Do you also believe that YOUR religion is the only CORRECT religion as well? I mean it's so childish and narrow minded to think this way.

• oh for f*** sake. gay people aren't hurting anyone.

how about everyone worry about their own damn problems and let people marry who ever they please.

people who talk ill of gay people now look as ignorant as racists did protesting the civil rights movements

its all just pointless hate. marriage is about love. man or woman I wouldn't want to marry someone with so much hate in their soul

• Omg I couldn't have said it better myself. Cheers!

• Go ahead and down vote me, you're only proving me right. Bring on the senseless hate, willful ignorance is a hoot!

• I don't. Definitions change over time. Even traditions change, when they supposedly should not. For instance, we don't celebrate Christmas the way people used to celebrate it, say, 1000 years ago. This doesn't mean that the way we celebrate it now is bad, it simply means that it has evolved, just as people have. I think the same applies for marriage. I believe that two consenting adults should be allowed to marry each other, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

And for the record, using "but the bible says so!" as an argument is absolute rubbish in my opinion. The bible also says that a rape victim should marry the rapist. Should we not follow that rule too, since it's written in the bible as well?

And for the people who say "I'm not homophobic, but..." no. You are homophobic. If you don't think that homosexuals should have the same rights as heterosexuals (in this case, that they are not allowed to marry each other) then yes, you are being very homophobic.

• In my experience, finding real love is not easy to come by. So I have to question why anyone would want to take that away from other people just because they found love with someone of the same gender. How would you feel if someone told you that you're not allowed to be with the person you adore? I wouldn't be too happy if someone forced that on me.

• That is the biblical definition yes, but the definition of literally is that it is happening right now. And people use that word wrong all the time. They say things like, "I literally died laughing." If that were true, they'd be dead and the person they were talking to would be talking to a ghost.

Point being that things change. And if men and women can't keep something like marriage whole and good, why not let the gay and lesbian community give it a shot? Seeing as straight people have messed it up so much all ready anyway.

• Marriage is the union between two people that love each other

• I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. That's something I stand by. I don't consider myself homophobic at all. I love and embrace everyone. I've been around the world and seen different races and cultures and the whole nine but I'm still entitled to an opinion.

• Not me. To me, marriage is the union of two people who love each other. That can be a man and a woman, but also two men or two women. And I think it's absolutely outrageous, that homosexuals still aren't treated equally everywhere. Love is about a person, not a gender.

• A union between a man and a woman=of course! But isn't it better for two gay people to get married or be in a serious relationship and be proud of who they are compared to one guy or girl who knows he/she is gay, but keeps lying to other people about it and their spouse-who eventually marry someone of the opposite sex who they don't genuinely are attracted to sexually, just for the sake of conforming...both of these people will eventually find out and be emotionally hurt that the other person wasn't completely honest with them from the very beginning...I don't even want to think about if the couple has any children together...then they end up getting divorced since one person is gay and the other isn't. This causes a lot of pain.

• I believe it.

I honestly think that if otherwise get a partnership in which would allow the same benefits as a marriage... but I don't think it is right to put it under the bible.

They are doing these things where they are suing pastors for not marrying gays.

& I think that is not fair.

What happened to separation of church and state?

• Sometimes I think it is, but in this century people throw around the word "union" in a marriage like its a toy to be frank. I choose to think differently, its a bond between a man and a woman who love each other.

• I don't but people's view differ plus that's the old way.

I am all for change.

Ages ago us blacks were denied most of our rights someone fought for it and here we are today.

Give the homo's a chance, let them make the best of it.

They scarcely do anything wrong per say so why not?

The world is changing, as a matter of fact that is the only thing that is constant in life CHANGE.

I know some really nice gay guys and I live in the Caribbean where it is really looked down upon, there are many homophobes. I won't do it per se.

I think society dictates too much of our life, who developed some of these ''rules?''

In the past these same rule makers fought and stole innocent people from what was rightfully theirs and up till this day they still do ( they demand us to pay taxes, to do exactly what)

Everyone has the right to live their life

I am all for it

• I don't know what the American government has to do with marriages anyway... I feel that all government unions should be civil and people can do whatever religious/spiritual ceremony that fits their beliefs/practices.

• i totally agree. its the unity of two souls who wish to commit their lives to one another till THE END OF THEIR DAYS.

• BANANANAANAN DON'T GET RID OF KIK! DON'T DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTT! I BEG YOU! :(

• Two souls...that doesn't cancel out two people of the same sex! whoot!

• i meant man and woman lol... loser. I said I totally agree... with his entire statement

• I believe in free will..

• And so does God. I've always maintained that God is "pro-choice". Of course, there will come a day when we all anwer for the choices we make.

• Most of the time it is just because most people are heterosexual. But sometimes it isn't, and that's alright too.

• no, I think marriage is a bond between two people who love each other and want to make it official/permanent. there's a whole nother argument about whether marriage is actually necessary, but in summary I think it doesn't matter if it's between a woman and man or two people of the same gender.

• religious marriage-yes,man and a woman. maybe even several women,the more the merrier. but marriage in the legal sense-that changes.

• I agree

• Marriage is a union between 2 minds and not between 2 bodies.

• Get your head out of your ass, marriage is for two people who love each other. Not something that should be like a special club that only certain people can enter.

• my my your very narrow minded=/

who said anything about a club? he wasn't discriminating against anyone, he's simply saying what he believes and he's entitled to it?

• its not discriminating at all lol, he's just asking who agrees with him on his opinion.

and he's not narrow minded at all... personally I rekon he can express his opinions in whatever way he chooses and if you get offended by that that's your problem. learn to suck it up and realize that your opinion isn't the only one out there...

• So how then does my opinion make me narrow minded? I never said my opinion was the only one nor am I offended, I just think people who have such opinions need to realize that treating people the way they do because of their sexual preference in wrong.

dis?crim?i?nate

1. to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit

AKA: saying gay people can't be married

• The definition of marriage changes over time, in my opinion.

• i dont,

• it is the uniting of property.

• ...including women.

not all cultures speak of it this way anymore. but that's marriage at its conception. trading and uniting land animal and woman.

• OR it could be a marriage with benefit purposes only

• The ACTUAL definition of the word marriage is - a legally, religiously, or socially sanctioned union of persons who commit to one another, forming a familial and economic bond.

What Guys Said 14

• Asking for the definition of marriage is like asking for the definition of friendship, in my view. Only the people involved can decide what to call their relationship.

• You lost. Get over it.

• lost what?-.- its not a game lol

• It is a never ending battle between those who want humanity to progress (which means change) and the forces of conservatism which still think leaving the savannahs of Africa was a step too far.

• Marriage is the union between two lovers.

It's not up to the government to decide who is allowed to marry who. At the same time, churches shouldn't be forced by law to practice something they don't believe in. Gays should be allowed to marry but they can't waltz into a Catholic Church and do so unless permitted by the Catholic Church. There's more than one way to marry without stepping on opposing beliefs.

• I believe that definitions have the potential to evolve and are subject to interpretation by each generation. Therefore, the plasticity of human language makes making that claim extremely difficult. I, for one, disagree with your view, but I respect your right to have it.

• Inasmuch as the Bible condemns homosexuality without question, it would be at the very least hypocritical to employ it in the joining-together of such "couples" in marriage. However, since ours is not a theocratic form of government, some sort of civil union should provide the rights of surivorship homosexual couples seek-out. But as far as Holy Matrimony goes, the shoe just doesn't fit. The word matrimony is derived from two Latin words meaning "mother" and "joined together" (roughly). Since homosexual marriages do not provide the natural means to produce mothers/children, we'd do as well to call an orange an apple.

• People so often overlook the fact that the Bible was written by MEN, not God himself! God is about love & love only. It is mankind that has created all the religions to essentially control people. All the rules & regulations & rites & ceremonies & heaven & hell - that's ALL man's doing, not God.

• @ LJHam...u clearly don't believe in God so how the heck would you know who wrote it? have you read the entire thing? do you know how far back it goes in history?

please don't make up crap that you know nothing about...

• Marriage has been used by many cultures and many religions. Whose do we follow on the state level? The answer is we don't because we have a secular government. Marriage on the state level is just that: legal marriage. It's not stating whether someone is religious or not or trying to stop religious marriage altogether. People have the right not to believe in two people of the same gender who love each other getting married but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have the same legal benefits as everyone else.

• in most states, technically that is the definition but the definition of marriage has changed over time. girls used to be sold into marriage. interracial marriage used to be illegal. So if 2 guys or 2 girls wanna get married to each other because they are in love than so be it.

the only basis for any argument against gay marriage has been because its "a sin"

well we don't live in a Christian nation, despite what many conservatives seem to think. the laws shouldn't be based on what a religion feels is right.

if people are uncomfortable with gay marriage, than whatever, its fine. believe what you want to believe and feel how you feel, but don't force it on the rest of society. Because for you, its being uncomfortable, for people who want to get married to someone they love, its their lives. its their right to be equal. Its their right to both be parents to a child they love.

• At one time it was, but at other times it allowed polygamy and discriminated against interracial couples. Marriage is a legal concept and can be subject to change.

• You're free to define it any way you see fit. What you can't do is force other people to use your definition.

• Just you

• believe it all you want, no one will force you not to believe it. but the rest of the worlds going to move on on this without you. you'll just have to deal with that.

• Not me.

• In some states it is, while in others, the times they are a changin'

You a homophobe?

• Not I