73% of the black children in America are born outside marriage?

I heard this today and it seems like such a high number that I got curious, wanted to ask.

GaG, if you are black, please answer the poll. Were your parents married or not?

• I'm black and was born to married parents.
  • I'm black and was born outside marriage.
  • I'm not black but I want to see the results.
To clarify, I asked because it sounded really high and I was having trouble believing it myself.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm black and was born illegitimate. My mother basically told me that my biological father had sex like it was a recreational sport in order to reproduce. She also made mention that since blacks were oppressed for so long that many black men feel the need to spread our seed in order to become the majority. He was a deadbeat and never involved in my life in any capacity but instead of feeling bad for myself I put myself through school and am a Registered Nurse at a hospital in the suburbs.

What Guys Said 5

• I'm an A person... but that statistic from my life sample being around black Americans sounds accurate. FYI, about half of all my black peers and family members my age either have a completely absent father or have a "rolling stone" father (as in not consistently around). Sad but true.

• my parents were married. Keep in mind too that random stats with no real evidence are thrown quite around often.

• the numbers are trut, I don't know why people are having a hard time accepting the reality of the modern world. white women and Hispanics will catch up to that withing the decade

• You heard this from Bill O'Reilly didn't you? Guess what he forgot to mention, out of wedlock babies are on the rise for ALL races. Whites, Asians, Blacks, Latinos, etc. Marriage as a whole is socially changing.

• No, I don't watch him. I read it online.

• or course not, but it is an indicator on if they live together or not and that does have an effect on good parenting.

• Not necessarily. Depends. There are bigger factors that account to criminal activity. Poverty and education. It's why people think Islam is a violent religion (when really it's no more violent than the other Abrahamic Religions). Because they see violence in those regions of the world that ascribe to Islam and they ignore that those countries are both poorer and less educated than many others.

• Maybe most black people just don't get married

What Girls Said 10

• 73% percent is an extremely high number of people. I seriously doubt that is true.

• My parents are married

• I'm Hispanic & black and my parents were married for like 4 years before having me and then divorced when I was 5

But LOL@ people assuming you're me

I personally wouldn't have children outside of marriage.

• well I did hear that something like only 30 something percent of black women ever get married...but I don't remember the source.

• That's interesting, yet I've seen billboards that say the black race is declining because of so many abortions. But I can maybe see that, I just think people having children outside of wedlock is on the rise for ANY race.

• I believe it. If that's not it then it's definitely over half at least.

• Yes, my parents were married and are still together now.

• I don't know about 73% but the percentage is still pretty high. Marriage isn't that important in the black American community. Even religious blacks have children outside of marriage.

• I highly doubt that

• Alot of black people just don't believe in marriage. So what?

• I'm only half, but my parents were married when they had me.